Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Velma Fesler's Post

---------- Forwarded
Mother used to make some kind of corn casserole (probably not spelled correct), but she made if from creamed canned corn. One of the recipes that I wish I had written down while dad was alive, was my grandpa Henry Fesler's recipe for home brew. Not that I want to make home brew, but he was known for several miles around for his good brew. I think I heard dad say that he made it out of potato peels. Knowing grandpa Henry, he probably didn't even wash the peels first. ha. During the depression, he was having a hard time getting money to make payments on the old home place, so he made and sold home brew. Dad said that the Law was always making surprise visits to the farm to catch him with a big batch. On one of those surprise visits, grandpa had a big batch all bottled up,, (wonder if he sterilized the bottles before filling?) and they heard the law was on the way, so Dad and Norman took all the bottled brew, ran to the old rock walls that surround the place and shoved the bottles in cracks between the rocks. When the law knocked on the door and asked Henry if he was making brew, he of course denied everything, but dad and Norman were hiding by the rock walls and the bottled brew began exploding bottle by bottle. I guess his recipe died with him.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What happened to my comment???

Gary White said...

Sorry, Wayne, I lost it. Please put it back up again.

Unknown said...

Gary, I am going to fire you.

Phil Foust said...

Welcome, Velma ... thank you for an interesting story about your grandpa's home brew. As I was growing up I remember my grandpa making home brew when he was on the farm. It's not remembered how he made it but it was stored in the cellar. His beer also exploded at times and once I went down after hearing the noise and blue smoke was arising from the debris.