Friday, February 1, 2008

Summer Saturdays in CV


Cedar Vale really came to life on Saturdays. The farming families came to town in the afternoon in time for the drawing. Im not sure if the prize was money or merchandise, I dont even know how you signed up for it. At Thanksgiving and/or Christmas live turkeys were tossed off the roof of Adams Mercantile and went home with who ever was fast enough to catch them. When all the parking places were gone people would park down the middle of main street. After the groceries and supplies were purchased the men would sit on the benches located outside of most of the businesses, some would be whittling and all would be catching up on the news and of course always discussing the weather! The ladies would shop and visit while tending their young children. The teens would walk around together, few if any had their own cars so this was about the only time they saw each other during the summer. In the evening the cafes did a good business and many stood in line waiting for a stool at Herbs for a hamburger and a bowl of chili. The Leonard Theater would be full too. At Hankins Drug Store we had a steady stream of customers all day and in the evening we would have people waiting for booths to enjoy their once a week sweet indulgence of milk shakes, sundaes and sodas to eat after the movie or before the dance or going home. People would come from all over to the dance at the pavilion but because of all the drinking my friends and I could drive down and watch the dancers from the car but until we were older we were not allowed to even get out of the car.

5 comments:

Diane Archer Bradbury said...

Yes, Cedar Vale did come to life on Saturdays. Mother always washed our hair and hers and pinned it up for those awful looking results. This was also for us to look clean and curled at Sunday School. I can remember going downtown with mother on Saturday nights when I was about
13 or 14. Daddy would be playing poker with his friends and mother enjoyed seeing people amd visiting.
I began asking to go to the dances at the pavillion about that time, but it took quite awhile for a sort of compromise to be met. She said I could go in if I sat against the west fence and she would sit just outside and watch me. I loved to dance though I had little experience and had no idea if I would even be asked. As fate would have it, I was asked by Gary Jellison, who came to the dances with his parents. I believe his mother was a Carter and had attended school under my dad at Shilo country school. My mother told me who he was and we danced inumerable two-steps, never saying a word to each other!

Yes, this was my exciting Saturday nights in CV for several weeks that summer of long ago. It is a fun memory.

Unknown said...

Nancy, I remember your dad would come out of the ?Ames? garage and talk with men that were walking down the sidewalk or sitting on the bench in front of the business. He was always covered with grease and oil and always carried a rag which was similarly covered with grime. Whatever happened to him??

Anonymous said...

My Dad died in 1998 he was 83. My 2 sisters who were the care givers moved them to a retirement place in Ark City. Both parents were in poor health and it was easier for my sisters to have them closer. My Mom died in 1999 she was 81.

Phil Foust said...

Floyd Goode was considered one of the finest mechanics in Cedar Vale. He also was a fine man who was always ready to help. Though I didn't know Marjorie as well ... I considered your parents as being some of the nicest folks in Cedar Vale.

DFCox said...

Floyd Goode was my favorite mechanic EVER! He was also a friend, as was Marjorie, who sat in the office and did the books for Goode garage.

Once when I was home from school in Manhattan I made an ambulance run in the Hearse (the regular ambulance was in use) There was an accident on the hill 6 miles west of CV. We loaded an injured man into the hearse and I headed for town at high speed. Coming down Jarvis Hill I was going too fast and the valiant old "straight 8" motor almost blew apart. I managed to get to the hospital and my next stop was up the alley to the back of Goode Garage. I'll never forget your Dad, he didn't have to come any closer, he stood in the door and sadly shook his head from side to side as he heard the death rattles coming from under the hood. Partly I guess it was sadness at the demise of the gorgeous '38 Buick but I always figured it was partly a silent rebuke to me for overextending the vehicle.