Saturday, February 2, 2008

ONE V.I.P

Phil asked for VIP's from our early days in CV. One person that still stands out in my mind was Flo Hays, wife of L. Claire, and mother of Bob. She was a real lady. In spite of being in a marriage that must have been hard, she was always gracious and kind, especially to the little kids that hung around her home and the hospital. Because Dr. Hays was excessively busy, she never knew whether he would be home for supper, make it to Bob's basketball games, or to the production of the Mikado, in which Bob was one of the main actors. And because of this factor in their life, she never had the social life that some of the women of the town enjoyed. No bridge club. No Welfare Club ( whatever that was ). No Eastern Star.

But she was always there for her son and his friends, and she kept us all in line with a kind but firm hand. She even kept her husband under control at times. Because I was a friend of Bob's, I spent many evenings at their home, and I especially remember at one dinner table Dr. Hays started talking about a prostate gland problem he had seen that day, and Mrs. Hays immediately shut down that conversation. Wasn't appropriate in front of an eleven year old guest.

She let us ride the horses, fish and swim in the pond (muddy place), catch crawdads in the little creek that ran below the house. But she was always aware of anything that we were doing that might be dangerous or destructive.

During our senior year in CVHS, Bob and I were invited to go to Wichita East High School to take a test which could lead to a very prestigious scholarship at the University of Kansas. My parents were both busy working and did not think it was worthwhile for me to go, but Mrs. Hays was kind enough to invite me to go with them, and she knew that in spite of what my folks believed, it was something that I should do. It was another of her many kindnesses.

Later she became a valued member of the CV school board, along with my dad. As usual, she carried out this task with intelligence and hard work.

She was not a smiling person, and some thought she was "hard". But I found her always kind and thoughtful. Shortly after I was married, we drove through CV, and were going to stay at the CV motel, a wonderful establishment at the foot of "main street". But we drove out to the Hays' ranch to visit and see if perhaps Bob was there. Mrs. Hays asked what our plans were and when we told her, she had a "fit" and told us in no uncertain terms that even if Bob was gone, we were staying for dinner and for the night. I am sure that was not convenient for her, but it was just another example of the kind of kind and thoughtful person she was

She is gone now. I never saw her again after that short visit, but will always count her was one of the CV VIPs.

9 comments:

Gary White said...

A sensitive portrait, beautifully told, Wayne.

Phil Foust said...

Wayne, you have so nicely described the essence of one of the prime ladies of Cedar Vale.

Does anyone know Flo's maiden name and where she was raised?

In regard to names of 'prominent' ladies clubs of the era ... can anyone equal the "Nonpareil"?

Gary White said...

Flo Lois Hays was born on 15 June 1904 in Indiana and died 14 May 1982 in Cedar Vale.

In the 1930 Federal Census Flo and L. Clair were living in Kansas City, where he was listed as a "student doctor" and she was listed as a "stenographer" at the hospital.

I have been unable to locate her maiden name and could check no further until I have that information.

Anonymous said...

I believe Flo's last name was Shaffer. Both Flo and Claire were very kind and interested in everything I was doing. I ate many meals with them and Flo would always made Bob 'mash' the potatoes. They always included me on any flying trips if I was able to get away.

Gary White said...

Thanks, Nancy. That was the information I needed.

In 1910, five-year-old Flo L. was living with her parents in Caney, Kansas

In 1920, fifteen-year-old Flo was living with her parents in Rutland, Kansas.

Unknown said...

Nancy, I am glad to hear that someone else had some good memories of Mrs. Hays.

Maybe someone would remember Melvin and Neva Shrader, or Burt Bargis and, I think his wife's name was Alma. ?????

Nancy Goode Schmid said...

I forgot to memtion Flo had a wonderful sense of humor and a delightful laugh!

DFCox said...

I hardly know where to start on memories of Flo. She was my next door neighbor in my teen years, and I spent a lot of time in their house as Bob and I had boy projects all the time. Later I was on the Hays ranch often on Vet calls, and she and I served on the School Board together It should be noted that Flo loved horses and was a fine horsewoman.

After I left CV I was back for a visit at Labor Day and I saw Flo on horseback up at the watertower. I went to greet her and started to visit, but she didn't know me. Bob later told me that arteriosclerosis had claimed her.

Pat Pate Molder said...

I'm just now reading this interesting blog about people I certainly remember. Melvin and Neva Shrader were good friends of my grandparents, Albert and Anna Pate.At one time, Melvin was the substitute carrier on Grandpa's Route 3. "It was said" that when television first hit Cedar Vale, Melvin and Neva didn't buy a set, but would manage to visit someone every evening so they could watch programs. They were regulars at Albert's and Anna's house. When I would be back to visit Mother and would see Melvin downtown he would hug me and kiss me - right in the mouth unless I managed to turn my head. He would tell my then, husband, Joe, what a fine family I came from and what a wonderful girl I was. Too bad Joe never believed him !!!>>>Yes, I remember Burt and Alma Bargis and where they lived. Alma did housework and walked everyplace she went. We were living in part of Georgia Chapman's house. Alma would walk by morning and evening, talking to her herself. I swear you could smell clorox for a block. I think she cleaned for Georgia some. She took her own life, hanged herself from a tree in their front yard. Even yet, when I drive by that house I think of that.