Saturday, March 22, 2008

KANSAS FARM LIFE IN THE 40'S - HOOSIER

On reading Jay's comments of farm life in the 40's, triggered some supressed memories of my childhood. Our generation has probably witnessed as many changes in our way of living as any prior generation. As every generation, on our passing the things we have experienced and witnessed will be forgotten, expect what is in print or in pictutres. With that in mind I thought I would try and recall some of the things I experienced growing up on the farm.

On mentioning various things to my children, they think I came to Kansas in a covered wagon. At their stage in life they have not expressed much interest in learning about the "old days". I know as they grow older, they perhaps will want to know more about the ways things used to be.

I grew up on a farm one half mile north of the seven mile corner. It was the same farm that my father was raised. Seven-mile corner was west of CV on high 166. By going south would take you to Grainola and Shilder , OK.

At one time seven-mile corner consisted of a filling station, grocery store, dance area and some cabins. A lady named Cora Wallace operated it. I recall comments by my parents that made me believe real wild things happened there on Saturday nights. Probably dancing, alcohol beverages, etc. shame, shame, shame.

Hoosier has been mentioned a couple of times in various blogs. By going on back dirt roads approximately two and one half miles from our farm would take you to Hoosier. On the way, just of the road, was a metal marker. The marker was stuck in the ground and had an inscription on it. I don't recall what it said. My Dad called it "Half Way, USA". Supposedly half way, east coast, west coast, north Canada, south Mexico. I have no idea if their is any validity to the saying or not. I wonder if the marker is still there. I doubt that I could find it now as the roads have probably been gone for 50 years.

My earliest recollection of Hoosier is it had a large old school building where my father had gone to school. In my day it was used for storing hay. There was a house that Joe Westbrook lived in. Joe worked for the Meldrum brothers. I thought he looked, walked and talked like a real cowboy should. I wanted to be a cowboy like Joe.

There was a train depot, where the train stopped, coming from CV on the way to Dexter and Winfield. Some of the farm income came from selling cream. One of my duties was getting up before daylight and help milking the cows. The milk was put into a hand cranked, ( we later got one with electric motor) cream separator. The separator separated the cream from the milk. The milk we feed to the pigs and when we had a full five-gallon can of cream, we would take it to Hoosier and it would be put on the train.

There was also a house that had a room that served as the post office. George Prather lived in the house and he was the postmaster and mail carrier. ( He later move to CV) George would receive the mail, most of it coming on the train, sort it and put it into large leather pouches. He would then get into his automobile and deliver the mail to the farm familes mail boxes.

My Dad was substitute mail carrier. If George was gone, Dad would deliver the mail for him. If it rained and some roads were impassible by auto, Dad would deliver the mail on horseback. Seems like I recall him saying he sometimes had to ride 20 to 25 miles. I remember riding a horse and going with him. I doubt that I went all the way. I was probably 5 or 6 years old.

Hoosier was probably most noted for its stockyard. Cattle were shipped in and out by train. Mike and Brady Meldrum were the largest ranchers in the area. I remember, one or both would drive up in a Cadillac, chewing on a cigar, wearing a cowboy hat and pant legs tucked inside their boots. To me that was what success was all about.

The stockyard had scales and many pens for the cattle. It also had a "dip" with a ramp going down into and out of. The dip was probably 10 feet long and contained creosote or oil mixture. The cattle brought in from Texas or where ever, were driven down the ramp and had to swin to go up the other ramp. This was to kill ticks that could cause tick fever. They did not want it to spread to other cattle.

One time my cousins from Winfield were visiting. We rode horses up to the stockyard to play. A cousin was crawling over the dip, slipped and fell into the dip mixture. Needless to say no one wanted to ride a horse with him back to the house. To my knowledge he never got tick fever.

More later on going to school.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Great stories,, Gary. You must have more to tell, hopefully. I remember those dirt roads that went through Hoosier. We used them as a short-cut on our way to Dexter or Winfield. I hope I am right in that.

As an old roper, do you remember Billy Bunnell (Sp?) He was Ralph Bunnell's grandfather and lived west of CV. He supposedly was the World Champion Calf Roper at the time, late 30's and early 40's. All I remember about him was his bow-legs.

Diane Archer Bradbury said...

I only know the name was Bonnell.
A daughter or sister, Mary Ellen, married Dick Gordon, Tommy's older brother.

Gary, who were your Winfield cousins? Are any still living there?

Phil Foust said...

Gary, those were just wonderful reminisces of the 40s and 50s. Very well told! Hoosier has always had fascination for me as it was my dad's birthplace. I've heard several stories about the (now) ghost town where cattle and hay were shipped on the vital railroad.

For some reason, I believe I remember Owen Hubbard mentioning that he lived there ... and Joe Wesbrook was my dad's uncle. There was a patch of sand plums at Hoosier that we would pick for delicious jelly.

A terrible accident occurred at the highway rail crossing close to Hoosier. Some Winfield boys reportedly were coming to Cedar Vale to visit some young ladies in late 1949 or early 1950. (One of the girls as I remember was Donna Jean Hill. Donna was an attractive and personable young lady and as I remember worked at Hankins.) One of boys in the accident was the older brother of a girl classmate while I was at school at Winfield. Frey was the last name ... I believe. He was a fine young man who befriended me at times. The demolished vehicle was brought to Williams Chevrolet and I recall some of us grade school boys viewing some rather grisly remains of the victims unable to be cleaned from the car.

Gary White said...

As for the seven-mile corner, I believe the reputation was well deserved. I heard such stories myself as I was growing up. My dad and I stopped in there for a bottle of pop a few times when we were out delivering gasoline west of CV. There was, indeed, a fairly large dance floor. I think the place may have been a bit out of the way of law enforcement in either Chautauqua or Cowley counties, so it could get by with a bit of looseness. I also heard of another place the was around the county line between Chautauqua and Montgomery counties and also one on the state line between Kansas and Oklahoma south of Caney. Those ambiguous jurisdictions were convenient outlets for the exercise of temptations that could not be satisfied in the towns!

Gary Metcalf said...

Wayne and Diana,
Wayne the road I think you recall was a gravel road that you turned off of by where the rail road crossed high way 166. That road is still in existence today. I remember the night the boys ran into the train at that crossing. It was a foggy night and there were no signal lights at the crossing then I remember seeing the wreck at the site, gruesome.
Diana, the cousins I spoke of, moved to Texas in the 50's. I still have first cousins in the Winfield area, Charlotte Wise, Ida Finney and Allan Rush.

Diane Archer Bradbury said...

I know Charlotte, Ida and Alan. Charlotte sang in Sweet Adelines when I was involved. Ida and Charles were clients of my husband's plus old, old friends. And Alan through his wife, Paulette when I worked for the Walnut Valley Festival. They're all great people.

Jessica said...

Mary Ellen Bonnell Gordon was my father-in-law's aunt. She was the niece of Billy Bonnell, the rodeo champion. Do any of you have more info about the Bonnell, Gordon, Reynolds, Buffum, or Tetrick families?

Jay D. Mills said...

Moderator comment:
Leaving comments on old posts almost never gets a response. If you want answers, I would suggest a new post to the blog with some details and a way to contact you. If you cannot post, then e-mail to me and I will post a new article for you. Regards, Jay Mills jayinpanama -usual e-mail symbol-gmail.com