Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Would you buy a car from this man?

Well, if I remember correctly Norma Champlin indeed bought a car from this man. This photo was taken in 2005 by the "Hillsboro Free Press" as they announced my appointment as executive director of the Marion County United Way. Actually, it's the only photo that is available of either of us during the last number of years.

As I left you in a previous post (honoring Owen Hubbard) you might remember that our life's traverses and travails had picked us up and deposited us in Bremen/Marysville located in Marshall County, Kansas. Home is said to be "where the heart is" ... and our heart was now in Marshall County.

Life was good!

Not so fast my friend! Jimmy Carter was president and while we were absorbing debt from the building of our home in Bremen and building a new branch bank (at the edge of Marysville) a snag developed. Building costs escalated but more importantly interest rates soared to an astronomical level. I had borrowed funds for the purchase of the bank and for the construction of our home. Interest expense became (almost overnight) devastating for us along with our bank's farm customers.

For awhile, I was able to maneuver around these major problems. I became more active in investments and one year our profit percentage from bond purchases and sales was equaled only by a bank in Overland Park. About this time many banks were being closed and the regulators became more and more concerned with the rapidly deteriorating situation. They changed the method of determining capital reserves and then limited investment activities. The change in the accounting rules was devastating to us as we had no means of additional funds for capital increase as most certainly we weren't "real" bankers coming from "old" money. We were perhaps doomed when our principal means of keeping afloat during the bad times was blocked by the cessation of profits from investment activity.

When the regulators saw that our situation was untenable they correctly moved for change. It is believed that they were understanding of the situation and did not involve me in any legal proceedings. At the same time, one of the directors/stockholders brought suit against me (I believe) attempting to possibly put himself in a good position for future community bank involvement.

Absolution of the charges was only a hollow victory. The suit effectively ended not only my hard fought banking career but any ability to secure adequate employment to allow the means to work my way out of a negative financial situation. My financial statement had looked pretty impressive prior to all of this but the result was that most everything of material value was lost. Perhaps the fellow upstairs never thought of me as banker material. We hung our heads in shame and dragging our tails behind us we headed "home" to Arkansas City.

Those of you that have not experienced the difficult times of negative public perception have perhaps lost the important ability to know of whom are your friends. For the second time in our lives we were snubbed by friends and relatives. At the same time, there were those thought of as being "only friendly" that showed us friendship in depressing times. Some of those folks participate in viewing these blogs. To you ... we say with emphasis ... "THANK YOU"!

"Sally", (my Grandmother Britton), was in her upper 90s and was becoming less able to care for herself so she lived with us as we attempted to put positive value to our lives. Unable to find employment in Marshall County or in all the hundreds of banks of which I had correspondence I was happy to find a job at a Walmart being constructed in Ponca City, Oklahoma. The contact giving recommendation was Nancy Lee from Marysville who was helping in "setting up" one of the first "Super Centers". (Her husband of earlier vintage had once threatened to thrash me while I was the banker at Oketo for not advancing him additional funds. Thank goodness for whatever reason he left without carrying out his vow.) Driving back and forth from Ark City, I began recuperation of soul and spirit and enjoyed my activities in the customer service department.

A large Chrysler dealership in Ark City was my next step to some recovery as I began a brief career as a car salesman. I worked very hard and had some success in the occupation that my Uncle Dale had earlier enjoyed. Later, after visiting often with cousin Mike Foust's wife (Leslie) I successfully passed the test and joined her as a "Realtor" at an agency in Ark City.

My daughter was working as a social worker in Ark City and gave remark that drivers were needed to transport foster children. In Kansas, SRS is the state agency that has the onus of responsibility in removing children from homes of abuse. Various benevolent agencies are responsible for placing them (hopefully temporarily) where they might enjoy the best possible means of success toward normalcy. "The Farm" was such an agency based in Emporia that allowed me to be of a little help in the process during my semi-retirement. Transporting those children of all ages, situations, and maturity levels was an occupation that in many ways was the most rewarding of my life.

Pat worked as a salesperson for some time at "Harvey's", (a ladies clothing store in Ark City). She had not previously entered the workplace and though the work was at times difficult for her she very much enjoyed those times. Her mobility began to be a problem and it became apparent that it was time for us to be apartment dwellers. She needed a place without steps and our children were all residing in various sites of northern Kansas. Not wanting to be right under their noses we attempted to find a suitable abode in central Kansas and finally chose an apartment located in an atrium in Marion, Kansas. "Atrium" is a fancy word which might be more properly described to some of you older folks as the "poor farm". We are most likely the least affluent of the growing list of Cedar Vale bloggers. This is said not to elicit sympathy as I have never equated success with money but to realistically report our situation.

Oh, I have my inheritance! The best gift ever received was the continuing advice that my dad gave me concerning the proper way to lead a life. Don't worry about what others are doing. YOU do the right thing! Don't embarrass the family by making issue of unfairness. YOU do the right thing! If a person unfairly threatens you or others ... YOU do the right thing! My dad remains the best person that I have ever known. Sadly, I suppose I wasn't able to always do the right thing but I have never forgotten his priceless advice and as I have measured the decisions of my life it has been my goal to do the right thing.

Our life (like most) has been quite like a yo-yo but my growth as an individual has come more in the difficult times than in the times that I was "on top". Small achievements are more meaningful. For instance, last week was a good one for me as my church asked that I be on the finance committee (nope) and the school offered me the job of being the public address announcer at the high school basketball games (yep). This future job (should they be satisfied with my performance) is exciting for me in that a beautiful new gymnasium with indoor pool is currently being built close to our asylum.

Life is indeed like a box of chocolates. Delicious!

7 comments:

Gary White said...

Thanks again, Phil, for your honest portrayal of your more recent life. And yes, I WOULD buy a car from that guy!

Gary White said...

Thanks for letting us see your photo. I just put mine up as well. OK, fellow CV fans, let us know what you look like today!

Unknown said...

That is interesting! Gary and Phil and Don Cox all look exactly the same as they did 50 years ago. No wonder the rest of us don't want our pictures in the blog. We would rather be remembered as we were in the second grade??

Phil Foust said...

Well, once again it seems to me that as sharp as WW is ... his eyesight is surely failing him. Though Don and Gary look pretty good for old fellows ... they surely don't look like I remember them.

It is doubtful that when WW publishes his photo that I will be as reciprocally polite. He probably has had a "face job" and is waiting to make a big splash after the rest of us have revealed a couple of warts.

You do look rather distinguised, Gary. Do you resemble your dad?

DFCox said...

Thanks Phil, I'm enjoying this way to get reacquainted, and yes I would buy a car from you if I were in the market.

Now about photos--you have Phil and I in all our gangly youth and again refined as seniors. It's time for a young picture of Gary, perhaps that 7th grader that George Beggs took to the HS to play in the band. Wayne if you don't comply with that senior picture, I'll do it for you.

Gary White said...

I'll have to look for a young photo. I have my mother's stuff in our storage unit and have been meaning to bring it back to the house to see if there was anything worth putting up. Maybe this is the impetus I need.

Yes, I think I look a lot like my dad.

Unknown said...

I don't know about that. Your dad was a GOOD looking man.