Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Tribute to Owen Hubbard


Our small family arrived back in Cedar Vale from the Air Force in November of 1957. We rented a small rural house on the Hays property. Our beautiful stone home was located on the left side of the road just before you turned up to their residence allowing Dr. Hays to stop occasionally to visit with Graham as he was playing outside. We were thoroughly happy at our good fortune of home and position. My job at the bank would allow the start of my dream of a business career and the three of us would have the added good fortune of being near family and friends.

It is remembered that the staff of the bank included R.D. Oltjen, President, Owen Hubbard, Cashier, Lucile Littrell, Shirley Brown, and Bobbi Harp. Later T.D. Oltjen and Bill Foster were among those that joined the group. Ray Oltjen was a good banker who originally came to town with a plan of closing the bank (to turn a profit) as he had done at his previous bank at Florence, Kansas. Unfortunately, Ray had wasted some of his best years with a serious problem with alcohol. During the times that he was unavailable the conservative and capable Owen Hubbard kept the bank open. At the time of my employment Ray had placed the alcohol problem behind him and was aggressively growing the bank. "Bank with a growing bank ... and grow with us!" My early times at the bank were exciting as I steadily learned the banking and insurance business from Ray and Owen and was taught the bookkeeping routines from Lucile and Shirley.

It took us awhile to develop friendships but eventually our fireplace-heated home was active with groups of couples gracing our abode. Among the couples visiting at the time were: Dick and Gloria Beuoy, Maxine and Wayne Hutchinson, John and Linda Murphy, Jack and Donna Foster, Joe and Marilyn Ellis, Mary and Floyd Patterson, and Lloyd and Ethel Snyder. Some of us developed a "Civic Club" and projects included a flower area at the high school and a painting get-together at Hewins Park. We also initiated a successful softball team and were appreciative that Pete Napier (Co-Op) purchased us uniforms. Our son (Graham) was to have a brother now as Vince was born at the Cedar Vale Hospital.

Life was good!

Not so fast my friend! Ray Oltjen was growing the bank and growing his personal wealth through wide and wild dealings in cattle, grain, and oil. Partnerships were developed in a manic way and while some of the partners were not so bad ... quite more of them weren't so good. It was noticed that banking rules were not being followed as per even my limited knowledge. Owen Hubbard most likely noticed these insidious and sickening changes and it is likely that his observations made it impossible for him to continue at the bank.

The same decision that Owen made was one that I had to make. This was a difficult time for Pat and me in that it was almost impossible to explain to her what was happening. She didn't want to believe me and she didn't want to leave her parents and Cedar Vale. At one time she perhaps could have decided that while it might be time for me to leave ... it would be without her and the boys. As I gradually gained her support we met with Ray and Elsie to beg Ray to change his ways before it was too late. All to no avail! We were assured that I "was making a mountain out of a mole hill" and that "everything is going to be okay".

As a bit more time evolved it became more than evident that everything was not going to be okay. My formal resignation was given prior to the securing of a new job. Payments were to be made on our home and two rental properties. We were fortunate to sell our home and the rental homes pretty much remained occupied until they were eventually sold. Certainly, I wanted to stay in banking but bankers were leery of me as it seemed that I was the heir apparent to a growing family bank. Why would I want to leave? In deference to Pat ... I could not tell them.

Instead, it logically looked to some of the citizenry of Cedar Vale and prospective employers
that "something was wrong with Phil", (as Ray wrote his Mother in Hiawatha). Ironically, I landed a job in Hiawatha and we were moving the day that President Kennedy was buried. The Graduate School of Banking at the University of Wisconsin had accepted me for quasi-campus and correspondence school. This turned out to be the vehicle for a job as I had made a friend at school who recommended me to the owner of The Citizens State Bank. Wayne Starr owned the bank and was the son of a former Kansas Bank Commissioner. Wayne was killed in an airplane accident but (for rescuing my family) forever is my hero.

It is felt that this was a quite dangerous time in my life. In fact, I have often realistically thought that my jeopardy in Cedar Vale resembled the evening when an armed masked intruder invaded us in Bremen. Some of the characters that were attracted to Ray's expansionary ploys were not exactly choir boys and threats came my way as I fulfilled my duties at the bank. Even so, I determined to not bow to the pressures that some were placing at my watch.

When the almost inevitable closing of the bank occurred I was working as the manager of a bank owned by Starr in the hamlet of Oketo, Kansas. We learned of the closure from a neighbor who had heard it on radio or television. No family or friend from the area is remembered to have contacted us except John Murphy as he stopped to see us in Oketo while traveling to Nebraska. Most of the information that we gleaned of the closing was either from newspapers or suppositions made from most difficult bank examinations and unwelcome depositions.

Even though I had given some details of the situation to my employer (after time) my career was damaged as it was assumed by some that I could have been part of the sordid mess. This was hurtful in that I had fought for the bank (and for Cedar Vale) by beseeching Ray and Elsie Oltjen to come to their senses even to the point of sacrificing a budding career. As we have all learned, a person is reminded from time to time that life isn't fair. More than fair was that our family was growing as our daughter Gretchen was born while we were living happily but uniquely poor in Oketo (as friend Murphy might attest). A move further west to Smith County was made as we were fortunate to secure a banking job after the Oketo bank was sold not long after the closing of the Cedar Vale National Bank.

As time advanced a banker from the area did not forget me and helped my return to Marshall County to eventually own the Bremen State Bank. After attending Kansas University our son Graham worked with me at Bremen and younger KSU son (Vince) ran the Marysville, Kansas branch of the bank. All three of our children graduated from Marysville High School and it was my honor as a member of the school board to hand Graham his diploma.

Pat and I remain appreciative of Cedar Vale for our education and friendships and to the Oltjens for giving me a start in banking. Certainly, things didn't go as we would have wished and it was especially difficult to leave the community and the bank (as did Owen Hubbard) without many being aware of the circumstances.

It has been my feeling that a banker should give back to his town by helping make it a better place for his tenure. It is (at least) my opinion that Bremen and Marysville were better communities when it was time for me to say goodbye. Sadly, it is believed accurate that Cedar Vale was not a better place when Owen Hubbard (a good and intelligent man of high principle) and I were placed in a situation that forced us with hat in hand to singularly depart.


Owen Hubbard ... banker!
Owen, you are gone but I am optimistic that your town will not forget you but will remember you in accurate and positive perspective. May they allow you the esteem and respect that you duly earned and deserved!


















5 comments:

Gary White said...

Wow, Phil, I had no idea of what I was asking you to write about when I said "so what happened next?" That you were able to do it so clearly and with an even hand earns you my undying respect. I hope the process was not too painful for you and that those who did know what the "next" was going to be will share with me in thanking you for your generosity in sharing a very painful memory with us all. You are one very authentic human being in my book. I'm glad to be sharing this planet with you.

DFCox said...

Yes, I was there and banking with the "Growing Bank". Most of us still do not know what all was happening and no need to air it all now. We all felt so sorry for Elsie and assumed she was just swept along.

Owen I guess got into the insurance business with his wife Stella. We know of the unfortunalte demise of daughter Ada May, but we hear very little of James the son. Does anyone have news of him? Maybe his cousin, Roy Walkinshaw?

Unknown said...

It must be a tribute to your love for each other that you and Pat would have survived that stressful period in your marriage. Nowdays, couples are separated for happenings that are much less traumatic.

Gary White said...

I'm glad you chose to leave this piece up.

Phil Foust said...

Due to the perhaps sensitive nature of the post it was thought appropriate to delete it after a few days. Several respected individuals suggested that it remain. Their rationale was that (even though it might be a rather painful memory) it does give some insight on some difficult days of our town.

As with Don, Pat and I have not and do not have interest to learn "what happened" during the darkest days of the bank. Further, we have no anger toward any of the participants and blame no one for almost a lifetime of regret especially concerning our children.

Frankly, though this experience may have been one of our first rodeos ... time allows most all of us continuing opportunities to fail in the arena of life.