Wednesday, April 20, 2011

January 7, 1908

I missed placed some genealogy papers. I had every thing very organized at one time - somehow it all got unorganized. Years of misplacing things and the hunt for them has taught me that something else will turn up that will surprise me - or if nothing else, I will get things back in order. So it was a couple of weeks ago. I am going through the collection of 3 ring binders of genealogy information when I come across something I had completely forgotten I had in my possession. This letter. I had never read it. That day I thought this would be a good way to relax.

I began reading the words a young wife and mother had written one month and 21 days before my father was born. Once I started reading, I could not lay it down. I saw it as a story. Here she was in a new home, in a new state, with a new life as wife and mother. In her letter home, she paints a picture to people she left back home. I could see the kitchen where she was cooking. I thought she had a very logical thought on the food she was preparing.
The items she describes are things her g-g-g-grandchildren in Germany will find interesting when they get older. I had forgotten about tie stays!!
The little drawings on the pages add a special touch. I hope you enjoy Ada Hubbard's letter as much as I did. I am so glad she left this behind for us to see a bit of life in 1908 in Hosser, Kansas.
I did get a chuckle at the end of the letter. So softly mentioned. Almost as an after thought. Maybe that was the way it was then. By the way, how did Hosser get it's name??






11 comments:

Gary White said...

Wonderful letter! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Gary White said...

Anyone have any insight on how Hosser (SP?) got its name?

Morris Jones said...

Am guessing the town is spelled Hooser (not Hosser). It is or was on the Missouri Pacific. Railroads were sometimes responsible for town names though I don't know if that was the case in naming Hooser. The population of Hooser in 1910 was 23 but had fallen to 6 in the 1950 census. (PS Iris: Was Nellie Hubbard Walkinshaw a relative of yours? - Morris.)

Jay D. Mills said...

As for Hooser, I don't know the correct spelling but many names came west with settlers from the East and upper Mid-West. A "Hoosier" is someone from Indiana.

An interesting article on Wikipedia about the name. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoosier

Gary White said...

Great research, Jay. I do think Hoosier is the correct spelling. I have some sources and will look it up.

Gary White said...

Hoosier is certainly the correct spelling. It appears in Obits that I have consulted. However, the town doesn't show on my 1878 or 1895 maps of Chautauqua County.

Gary White said...

Just found out why Hooser isn't on my 1899 Chautauqua County map. It is in Cowley County! The 1899 map of Cowley County clearly lists the town as Hooser, not Hoosier.

DFCox said...

I think Hooser is correct and I think it is a surname. I hope Jim Hubbard will weigh in on this as he knows a lot of Hooser lore and also much about the Hubbard Family. Jim H. sent me the above letter and it is a treasure. Jim told me that his Aunt, Nellie Walkinshaw (Hubbard) wrote this letter a decade or so after the 1908 date. She was writing as tho it was her mother (Ada) and was recounting vivid memories of her childhood in Hooser. If so-- and I have no reason to doubt--it is even more amazing. Jim also sent me pictures of the Hooser general store run by her father, Frank Hubbard. Frank was later a school teacher and later yet an officer of LC Adam Mercantile Co. in CV. Jim are you out there?? Please educate us.

Iris (Tew) Walkinshaw said...

Morris Jones, Nellie Walkinshaw was my mother-in-law. I was married to Jock Walkinshaw.

Morris Jones said...

Iris, thanks. When I lived in CV I didn't know Nellie as she was more my parent's age. Later she sent me items of Jones family interest. It started us corresponding. She was a prolific letter writer. - Morris Jones.(PS: You have a son in CO. I have kids & grandkids there.)

Reva (Ramey) Sawyer said...

Were there more than 6 pages as it seems to not have an ending. Of course, if Nellie was writing it maybe that is as far as she went. Really enjoyed reading it and I know my 95 yrs old Mother will enjoy it also.