Thursday, April 14, 2011

Herb's Chili - Again

I know it has been asked before, but I'm still looking for the ingredients that Herb used in his yummy chili. We seem to have a few more readers now, so I am asking again.

Gary mentioned cumin, and we believe that he bought the basic seasoned bricks from the packing plant in Arkansas City. I remember seeing the bricks with orange grease covering the outside. And I remember some small pieces of port fat. And of course I always had mine mixed with his great brown beans.

Does anyone know what else he used for seasonings? I don't cook very much as I live alone...except for my 3 dogs. However, I do enjoy making chili for myself and for my occasional guests.
I use ground beef instead of the pork that I think was in Herb's chili. After many years of trying I still cannot find a chili powder that I like. Herb spoiled me for so many years that I am still searching.


By the way, the nights are still forecast to be 55-60 and days 75-80 F for the rest of this year and all of next year here in the mountains of western Panama.

2 comments:

Gary White said...

Hey you chili lover! I don't know the actual answer to your query about Herb's wonderful mixture, but I do know that he used the prepackaged bricks from the packing house in Ark City.

As for what makes any dish addictive, my first guess is always SUGAR. You can add such a small quantity to many dishes that no one will notice and people will keep coming back for more. Try it. You'll like it!

Jay D. Mills said...

Thanks Gary. Glad you are still with us. Maybe the sugar will cut the "bitter" taste of most chili powder.