Saturday, December 1, 2007

Listening to Music

Gary White

I very seldom choose to listen to music these days. That might seem like a surprising statement from a professional musician and composer. People often assume that music must be my frequent companion—that I would enjoy having the radio on for example, when I read. The truth is that when music is present I have no choice but to listen quite actively.

When I go to the movies I am always aware of the background music. I follow its development through the film, noting how the composer develops themes for each situation or sometimes each character. The music track is just as much a part of my experience as the other sounds—the dialog and the sound effects. (They are generally recorded separately and then mixed together in the final editing of the film.)

In a restaurant I am always aware of any background music and often find it difficult to carry on a conversation because I’m listening to the background music. If the music is live it is even more obtrusive and I listen as if I’m at a concert.

It is precisely my long training in music that makes it impossible for me not to listen. The idea of background music, or music to “not listen” to just doesn’t happen for me. How students can study with music blaring in their ears is beyond me.

I do enjoy music when I can give it my full attention, but I resent the constant barrage to which we tend to be subjected in grocery stores, elevators, and shops. I listen to music only in a few circumstances, when I go the opera or a concert, when I am driving on long trips and I need something to keep me alert, those special occasions when I want to or need to listen to a piece of music for a definite purpose, and when I’m working out in the gym. Otherwise, silence is truly golden.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

You poor guy. I must pity and envy you all at the same time. I must not invite you to my house because the Music Choice Opera channel is on all the time, somtimes serving as entertainment in the background and sometimes as the focus of my attention, depending on the piece they are playing. As in other fields, too much knowledge may not be a totally good thing.

Gary White said...

It can be a real handicap in my opinion!

Gary White said...

BTW, where did you acquire your taste for opera, not in CV unless The Mikado did it.

Unknown said...

Introduction to music appreciation 101 at K.U. To me, classic opera is the most beautiful form of art, combining music with theater. Some of the modern opera certainly does not enthrall me, however.

DFCox said...

I think I may be mildly retarded, but I frequently have radio or TV on while reading. Fact is I'm not doing either very well in this scenario.

Unknown said...

I agree with Don. I guess he and I are not so well educated in music that we have to analyze it, we just enjoy.

Gary White said...

An enviable position to be in, that's for sure. As for me, I would have to point out that the largest single source of current income is royalties from books that do "analyze" music. Perhaps the lesson is that if you want to continue to just enjoy something don't try to earn a living at it.

Phil Foust said...

Somehow my earlier comment got lost in the shuffle ... but I will repeat ... you three might form an unusual trio but one of great entertainment value.

Gary White said...

Sort of like the Odd Couple, only an Odd Trio!

Unknown said...

Actually, we could included Phil in that "unusual quartet". I won't say odd because that makes me think of Otto Morton. Sorry if that offends anyone, but he did act odd at times.

Gary White said...

Well, at least you didn't say "queer quartet." The alliteration would have been too much for me!

Unknown said...

Well, Professor White, now you have done it. You have ruined my life completely with your destructive article on "Listening to Music". Shame on you. Now instead of lying in bed or walking around the kitchen enjoying the "pretty music" emanating from the stereo, I find that I am trying in my un-educated way to analyze the sounds, and of course that totally ruins the enjoyment of the music. I try to figure out who the composer might be. I try to hear the various instruments in the composition.
So, no more enjoyment in life. Just analysis. All your fault.

Gary White said...

It is a plot, fomented by us music analysts to ruin the enjoyment of the listening public! We want you all to endure the hardships we face. Misery loves company. Welcome to the company!

Unknown said...

So, you do go back in the comments, scouring for the wisdom from lost souls that have nothing better to do than write inanities.

Gary White said...

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here!

DFCox said...

We just have to get you two together so you can duke it out. Phil and I will look on and maybe nudge one another and smile beatifically.

Gary White said...

It WOULD be fun, wouldn't it? I mean, all getting together somewhere other than cyberspace.