Thursday, December 6, 2007

CV One Hundred and Five Years


In today's mail came my copy of the history of CV as it was published in 1975. What a treasure! I feel so lucky to have found a copy for sale. It was the only copy I saw on Amazon.com. I have just thumbed through for the first time and already I'm finding many pictures and articles that I will be quoting from in future postings. A little history of this copy of the book is in order.

The name on the title page is: Freda Underwood, 615 Harter, Winfield, 1996. The book is in perfect condition and someone took the trouble to have most of the Cedar Vale Historical Society Book Committee autograph the book. The only signatures missing are Harold and Myrtle Cox. (Sorry about that, Don.)

I know that several of you own copies of the book, Don and Naomi/Bea Howell for sure. I want to thank Naomi/Bea in particular for bringing the book to my attention and setting me off on the search.

In the process I came across another small book about CV, published, they say in the late 19th century. I've ordered that book also and will let you all know what I find there.

So, if I turn up missing here on the blog for a few days, you'll know that I'm busy turning the pages of my latest treasure from good ole CV.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Freda Underwood worked for my folks in the dry-cleaning shop and baby-sat for us kids. That must have been the years around 1946. She lived with her mother in a tall skinny house at the corner of Dora and Caney, I believe, and they had an old foot-pedal organ sitting in their living room. If I was good, they would let me play it. I didn't get to play very often.

Unknown said...

I would have guessed Freda to be in her thirties in 1946, so by 1996 she was approaching "old age".

Unknown said...

The signatures on the document bring back many memories. But I don't recall Drum, Lewis, nor Stacey. Would Stacey be related to Leroy of the class of 1955??

Dick Williams said...

I bought the book when it was first published. Very interesting.

DFCox said...

I think the Museum still has original copies for sell. The other book is probably "Dawn Of The Century" Cedar Vale, Kansas. yes I have it.

Eva Drumm Stacey was a neice of Mrs. Elizabeth Early--Andy Early was a merchant mentioned in Waynes Main Street series. The Drumms were a pioneer family. She wrote the article about the Russian Colony.

Mildred Lemert--an unmarried Schoolmarm--was a decendant of Locke Lemert, also a CV pioneer. She was a good teacher of English in the CV Schools, and a very dedicated historian.

Kathy Dale Lewis is a local girl, married Frank Lewis and they recently moved to Winfield. She/they still come to church in CV and I see her often and we email regularly.

Gary White said...

Thanks, Don and Wayne, for filling out the details of my copy of the 1975 book. I'm already finding wonderful stuff that will jog my memory about my own time in CV.

Unknown said...

Don, Was there a Woody Lemert??

DFCox said...

Yes Wayne, Woody is a different branch, the Hewins Lemerts, but still a decendant of Locke. he was the second husband of Effie Adam Lemert who was a stockholder of L.C. Adam Merc. Co.

Unknown said...

Dear Professor White, I know this is going in the wrong spot on the site, but I wasn't sure anyone would go back far enough to see this important confession. Tonight I was trying to watch the Hallmark production of "The Note", and found that I was unable to follow some of the dialogue because I was focusing on the beautiful background music, and missing the words and the thoughts of the movie. I don't know who wrote the score, but he could take his place along side of Chopin, Mozart and Gary White. My question is, does that mean that I now have become so musically educated that I can join you in the ranks of the sublime???

Gary White said...

Join the cursed and the damned.

DFCox said...

There are several Movies which have scores that probably outlasted the movie. Like "Exodus" or "Fantasia"
I'm glad to hear that a modern Hallmark program may earn that distinction. I'm going to watch for it.

It would interest me to hear your list of 5 alltime favorite movies Gary: and anyone else who would like to weigh in. Is that appropriate for this Blog or does it belong in aanother place ?

Gary White said...

Looking back on this thread, I see that I never responded to Don. Yes, the little books is "Dawn of the Century." It hasn't arrived in Santa Fe yet, but in this season the Santa Fe post office is notoriously slow. It may arrive by Christmas.