Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The White Family of Moore Prairie, Kansas

By Gary White

This is the piece that resulted from Don Cox's question about the Whites of Moore Prairie.

Moore Prairie Cemetery in rural Chautauqua County, Kansas lists sixteen occupants with the name of White. I can identify all of these people as relatives of mine. How this came to be will center around one rather shadowy individual, Caleb White (1839-??).

Caleb and his new wife, Eliza Head White (1839-1920) arrived in New York from Liverpool, England on June 22, 1864. Life in England had been hard for Caleb. In the 1851 British Census twelve year old Caleb was listed as the only offspring of Samuel and Philadelphia White, who are identified as “Paupers—Formerly Farmers.” How Caleb met Eliza and when they were married is unknown, but there is little doubt about their reasons for leaving England for the New World.

The Whites began the move west along with that steady flood of immigrants who were seeking a better life in the U. S. They must have taken several years to reach Kansas, because their first two children Philadelphia (1865) and Samuel Fredrick (1867) were born in Illinois. By 1870 they had homesteaded on Moore Prairie and little Alice was born. My grandfather, Howard Charles was born in 1872 and Daisy in 1876. Shortly afterwards, Caleb just up and left, leaving Eliza alone in the wilds of frontier Kansas with five small children.

Those of us who muck about among the dead folk searching for our connections to European royalty are bound to turn up a few pitiful characters and an occasional scoundrel. Caleb White may fit into both of those categories, although Eliza was later known in the family for her sharp tongue. Whether that came before or after Caleb left I don’t know. Anyway, Eliza gathered up her little band of farm hands and, by God, made a go of it on the homestead on Moore Prairie. Philadelphia became “Della” and Samuel Fredrick became “Fred,” thus erasing any connection with Caleb’s parents in England. Eliza seems to have been determined to start all over again in her adopted country and she systematically cleared Caleb White out of her life.

There are two pieces of family folklore about Caleb that I heard from my father. One says that Caleb had been a sailor and found life away from the sea onerous. I doubt that bit of folklore, considering that his parents before him had been failed farmers and every census record I’ve found shows that he listed his occupation as “farmer.” My guess is that that story was just made up by Eliza to cover for the real reasons that Caleb left. The other story is more believable. My father said that several years after he took off, Caleb returned, but Eliza ran him off the place. That totally fits with what I know about my great grandmother, and tends to confirm Caleb’s status as neer-do-well.

By 1885 the White family was all quite grown up. Della, age 20 was listed as a housekeeper, Fred, age 18 is a “farmer,” Alice, age 15 is listed for “housework,” and Howard, age 12 is a “farmer.” Only little Daisy, age 9, has no listed occupation. That is quite consistent with the picture my father painted of the family. He described the White’s as a family with grim determination and no nonsense or fun. This shaped my grandfather’s character, and I remember him as a rather bleak character, who just wouldn’t stop working, even after a failed prostate surgery left him incontinent and weakened. My father said that he had a similar upbringing to his father, and if there was an easy way and a hard way to do anything, his father always chose the hard way. That he didn’t pass that same grim determination on to me is a tribute to his ability to rise above his upbringing.

Fred grew up and married Hannah (1875-1949). They created a place of their own on part of the homestead, making them Eliza’s neighbors. There they raised seven children, Ray A. (1900-1959), Ralph L. “Boots” (1901-1971), Orville (1905-1948), Ward L. (1907-1997), Lynn (1909-1970), Thelma (1913-??), and Buel O. (1915-1974). What a bunch of farmers that crew must have been. For the most part, all of these children remained in the Moore Prairie area and all of them procreated, thus accounting for the list of White occupants in Moore Prairie Cemetery.

My grandfather, Howard Charles (1872-1954) married Mary Florence Witham (1876-1964) and they had four children, H. Fern (1903-1989), Sylvia O. (1908-2001), my father, Charles Howard (1911-1991), and Vernon D. (1915-1973). Eliza lived with this family until her death in 1920. The H. C. White family was not prolific, and I turned out to be the only child any of them had. Fern never married, Sylvia married Charlie Smith, but they had no children, my father married Lila B. Call and I was their only child, and Vernon only married later in life and had no children. So, while all the Whites of Moore Prairie were and are relatives of mine, none are what I would consider close relatives. However, we all carry some of that Moore Prairie limestone in our bones and have all been hard workers all our lives.

8 comments:

DFCox said...

Of all these Whites, besides Leland, I remember Ward the best. In addition to his little farm, he was an excellent upholsterer,and had his upholstery shop on his place---miles from town. His crftsmanship was known by word of mouth so he had a fair amount of business. I think half of his work was reupholstering worn out truck, pick-up, and car seats. Til about 1995 Ward had a vintage Ford Pick-up which he drove at a reckless 15mph on the dusty Elgin road. He also drove in the center of the road and was oblivious to anyone behind him. I can attest to this because my "Stoney Point" farm was 4 miles south of Ward's place on Caney River. If I went to Sedan or Cedar Vale I traversed this same road on the way to 166 Hwy. He reworked two tractor seats and a truck seat for me. R.I.P Ward.

Gary White said...

You drove past the White homestead on your way to Highway 166 on the Elgin road. The H. C. White homestead was just west of the road and in later years someone covered the house with red sandstone facing. The Fred White place was on west of the H. C. White place and was reached on a lane that went just south of the H. C. White place.

DFCox said...

Yes I know both of those places. Don't forget that I practiced Veterinary Medicine in CQ County for 5 years before I moved to CA.
Ward White's place was about 1 and 1/2 mile south of the Fred White place, but one reached it on a lane which came in from he south.
A Smith family lives in the sandstone faced house--he runs the roadgrader in those parts.

Gary White said...

Yes, I know Ward's place. That was all sort of a White enclave, wasn't it?

Phil Foust said...

Well, Gary ... you presented some family history quite nicely! No doubt the Caleb White story is with similar duplication for many of those immigrating to our country.

Perhaps this interesting "Moore Prairie" account (of some of your clan) will move others to share information of their family history/memories. For me, the stories of the early days and the characters of Kansas are quite fascinating.

Gary White said...

I just found one record where Caleb White listed himself as a "mariner" so there may be something to the family folklore after all.

JEN said...

I am Leland's grand daughter (great-grand daughter of Ralph "Boots" and Louie White.) I am just now getting into some genealogy research and came across this story. After showing it to my father, he told me that Caleb White left Moore Prairie Kansas (for the second time) and went to the Great Lakes area. (Which also helps confirm that he was interested in boats/ marine life.) It was there that he met his fate. He got into a knife fight with a man at a bar up there and was stabbed and killed. My father wasn't sure what year this may have happened, as the family didn't receive word of this until much later. I'm not sure of any other details of the incident.
~Jen

Gary White said...

Thank you Jen for giving me a part of the history of Caleb White. I have done considerable genealogy work on my family and I would be happy to share it with you. Contact me at tchbth@mac.com and we can share information.