Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Childhood Memories & A New Beginning

Somehow my earliest childhood memories in Cedar Vale and the process of making a new beginning in the Republic of Panama have become related.

For the past 3 weeks my dog Blue and I have been (permanent) residents of the small farming and ranching community of Volcan, Panama. As a quick aside, yes the similarity between Volcan and Volcano is more than coincidence!

Maybe it is because this is a new beginning for us, or perhaps it is because I found the CV blog and that got the brain cells firing. I'm not sure the reason, but I've been thinking about my first memories and I would like to share a few with you.

My first memories are from the farm that my father O.D. and mother Nellie had on Otter Creek, about 6 miles north and 2 miles west of Cedar Vale. Our address was Rural Route 2 and our phone was a party line from Cedar Vale, even though we were in Cowley County. My great grand parents homesteaded that farm in 1871.

I was almost a year old when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor and I don't remember that event. However, it was very related to my being raised as an "only child". By the time I was 4 and beginning to notice the larger world, my older brother Carl had enlisted in the Navy. So I really didn't have a brother until I was 6 or 7. And with no other children around, I mostly related to adults until I went to school.

I remember my first horse Ginger, 3/4 Shetland, a brown & white "Indian" pony. I was 4, maybe 5 years old. My dad or one of the ranch hands would saddle the horse and I would lead him up to the board fence and position him so that I could climb the fence and get aboard. However, being older and wiser than me, Ginger would move so that only his head was near the fence. After some fussing and crying, my mom would help me into the saddle and off I would go.

Up the 40 or 50 feet to the main road which was 2 graveled tracks. We'd turn right and go about 1/4 mile to the first turn in the road, at which point Ginger always turned around and headed home. This was usually accompanied by shouts of protest from his rider and small boots kicking his sides, but all having no effect.

I remember going to Cedar Vale in our old Ford. Gasoline was rationed, as were many items during WWII. One thing that is still vivid in my memory is getting my hair cut, on the raised board, in the barbers chair. I still remember all of the pictures of the men (I don't remember any women) who were serving in the armed forces on the walls. I was told that some of them were dead. That was scary for a small farm boy who saw death close-up on the farm all of the time. Also, my mother took me to the movies with her and the newsreels were full of airplanes, bombs and explosions. Every time an airplane flew over the farm, I wanted to run and hide.

My mother, bless her soul, always tried to do too much before getting ready to go anywhere. So, she was always late and that brings up another early memory of Cedar Vale and the Methodist Church where we were members. I spent many Sunday mornings arriving 10 or 15 minutes late for Sunday School ... and it was always embarrassing for me. Somehow, after 60 years, I find it unimportant. At the time it was devastating!

Memories are funny things. Things that we think we remember, many times are things that our families repeated so many times that they become "our" memories. One such memory for me is my first public word(s), uttered in Herb's Cafe, "
hot dog"! I was glad, on my visit to C.V. in 2004, to see the stools and back bar in the museum. I must have liked the place, since I ate lunch there almost every day during my 4 years of high school: chili with beans; cheeseburger with lettuce, tomato, dill pickle & mustard; cold ham sandwich (w/same - mustard) and a slice of custard pie. These were not different meals but all at the same lunch and always the same, provided they had the custard pie. My metabolism ran at a much higher rate then. ;-()

I have many more memories of Cedar Vale; some great, some OK, and some not so good that I will share as the months pass. That is, provided that I do not share the fate of some of the earlier "undesirables" who were, I understand, tarred, feathered and run out of town on a rail. Never having witnessed this type of event, I assume the "rail" refers to the railroad tracks.

My e-mail address; please replace (symbol/punctuation) as appropriate. jay(at)jaymills(dot)org --- yes, org as .com and .net were taken. (This post edited 11/14/07 to insert links, etc.)

My latest simple web site is ready and the address is: www.paradisepanama.net. For more Panama pictures, go to www.jaymills.org/prophotogallery/ and scroll down to the Travel section for 3 sets of pictures of my earlier trips this year.

In the immortal words of Roy Rogers, "...Happy trails ... 'till we meet again." Or something like that.
---




20 comments:

Gary White said...

Hi Jay, and welcome to the blog! I enjoyed reading your account and look forward to more.Keep them coming.

Gary White said...

I just visited your site. Wonderful stuff. Where are the photos of CV?? Just kidding.

Jay D. Mills said...

Hi Gary, I have quite a few CV shots from my brief visit in 2004. I'll try to get them up at my photo site in the next few weeks. I'll let everyone know. Thanks for the kind words about the pictures and the memories.

Jay D. Mills said...

BTW, the most difficult part of getting set up on Google here is that it keeps wanting to give me most screens in Spanish. Too d#%@ smart.

Phil Foust said...

Jay D. ... it's great to be able to enjoy your memories. Anxious to read the next chapter.

Jay D. Mills said...

Phil, thanks for the comments. However, the 'anxious' part makes me wonder how boring your life must be. Joking!

Speaking of Herb's Cafe, I have been trying for 50 years to figure out what he put in his chili. I really liked it and I have never found, or made, anything as good. Anyone know? Any wild guesses?

Gary White said...

Jay, See my piece called Dining Out in Cedar Vale in the September archive of the blog. Happy surfing.

Jay D. Mills said...

Thanks Gary! I will try to brew up some "Herb-like" chili when I buy a LP gas range here...soon I hope.

Jay D. Mills said...

Gary & others; the two dozen CV in May 2004 photos are now posted on my site at: www.jaymills.org/stockphoto/thumbnails.php?album=11

Gary White said...

Hi Jay, Just looked at your photos and I like them a lot. I want to say that the little CV village was built by a man named Zimmerman. Don and others--how's your memory on that one? I remember going there as a kid and leaving a little change in the donation box. It was an older couple who would always take some time to talk to us kids and show us around.

DFCox said...

Henry Zimmerman and his wife were sweet people, always willing to show off the "village". I do remember as a child I saw the display with my older sister and we were invited into the dark victorian living room for cookies and cocoa. You may remember his neat garage with exterior walls covered entirely of old CQ Co. license tags,

Jay D. Mills said...

Thanks Don. I've updated the comments that go with the pictures on my web site. After you mentioned it, I do remember the license tags.

Gary White said...

Don and Jay. I've enjoyed revisiting the little CV village and am working on a piece about the Zimmermans. I would appreciate any information either of you might have. I do know that Henry (John Henry) was born in Cowley County, but the place listed is Cedar Vale. Must be that area of eastern Cowley County that looks toward CV more than Ark City. Sounds like it might have been in your area Jay.

Jay D. Mills said...

Gary, sorry I don't have any more information on the Zimmermans. If anything comes to mind I'll let you know.

DFCox said...

I've done it again!! (Mislead you with bad info that is)
OK -- Jay D. and Gary, Henry and Frank Zimmerman were brothers, they lived two blocks apart. Henry lived west of Frank diectly across from the cemetary. Frank and his wife Ida had the miniature village. Both brothers were excellent carpenter/cabinet makers. They worked together to build a threshing machine with which they did custom work in the area farms. Also Frank built the first school bus (on an old truck chassis) that Cedar Vale ever had. Frank drove it in the '20s bringing kids to school from the Cedar Creek area west and north of town

Jay D. Mills said...

Don, correction noted and changed on the picture captions on my web site.
Thanks!

Gary White said...

Thanks for the additional info Don. I'm mulling the piece about Henry and his wife. She is listed on the census roles as Mina.

DFCox said...

Yes, Henry and Mina---Frank and Ida

Anonymous said...

The book "The History of Cedar Vale, Kansas" has a small article about the miniature buildings that Frank Zimmerman built. It says he started building it in 1933. Friends contributed wooden crates, boxes and nails to Frank. The structures were carefully built and accurate in detail.

Gary White said...

Thanks, anonymous. Good information for the piece I intend to write.