Saturday, November 3, 2007

A Note from Your Administrator

Blogs are sometimes subject to spamming, just as our email is. From time to time you may see something totally extraneous to the purpose of our blog come up for a short time and disappear. That is your administrator at work. I've had to do very little of this cleaning so far, and if it becomes oppressive I have restrictions that I can put on the blog as to who can post and who can read. I've chosen to leave the door as open as possible and it has worked fairly well so far.

Another issue that sometimes comes up on blogs is what is known as "flaming." That is a response that attacks another blogger and is considered the poorest of "netiquette." I have seen absolutely none of that, but if it were to show up I can delete it and if it were to continue I can uninvite contributors.

On a similar note, we are coming into the next election cycle and if previous elections are any indication, this one will be bitter and divisive. I'm sure that we all will be supporting candidates and donating our time and money to their election. I am stating my firm intention to keep this blog an "election-free" zone. Posts that are in support of candidates or posts that defame any of the candidates will not be tolerated. Posts that deal directly with the political parties are also out.

One other area of concern is forwarding of materials from other sources. My email is sometimes filled with forwarded stuff and I delete it without reading it. I will do the same for other forwarded material on the blog. One exception is when someone who is unlikely to be a regular contributor sends me something that I think will be specifically of interest to the group. I will forward that to the blog, but I want people to put up their own posts so I am actively discouraging the practice of sending me stuff to be put up. Put up your own posts!

With this said, I hope you all continue to enjoy our exchanges and will feel free to contribute. I'm having fun with this and hope you are too.

4 comments:

Phil Foust said...

Well said good administrator. Hopefully my playful "fiction and fact" has not been the source of irritation to any of our bloggers.

Should this have been to any degree offensive please let me know and I will quickly delete same.

Gary White said...

No, Phil, I wasn't pointing any finger at you or any other person. I'm just feeling the need to make specific some ground rules I've been following.

Jay D. Mills said...

Gary, well...I think it entirely appropriate, what you said. I tried to start a new national political party, based in Ripley, OK (believe it or not) in 1980, I think. The object was to be able to vote for "None of the Above". More later, when I reach that point in my narrative...

But seriously, no politics is good politics.

Jay D. Mills said...

All, as Gary said, I also delete all forwarded e-mail attachments without reading. So please refrain from sending them to me. Also, it is poor "netiquette" to expose a list of e-mail recipients to everyone (including spammers who may be monitoring). If your e-mail program permits, please use the BCC (blind carbon copy) function for the list of addresses. Thanks. (Net user since 1992.)