Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Wayne's CV Main Street

I have been waiting on Wayne to get to the jewelry store, because I could not remember the name of it, to tell this small story.
In about 1950 (I think) my family took it first and only true vacation and went to Colorado for 10 to 12 days. We went with my paternal grandparents, Otis & Grace (Burkett) Ramey. Not a comfortable trip--6 people, plus luggage, food for picnics (too expensive to eat in a cafe, etc.) and who knows what else. This is in August, very warm, but we were really uptown, because the grandparents had a small cylindrical air conditioner, that was hung outside a window. Don't remember that it did much good, except in our imaginations. But I digress from my comments.

My sister, Gayle, and I had each bought rings with turquoise sets while in Colorado. One morning, while we were getting ready for school, Gayle said her ring was too tight and it was hurting her finger. Mom & Dad had already left for work, so I told her I could take care of the problem. So we go out to Dad's shop and I get a pair of wire cutters and am just going to pop the set off of the band, right? Well all I managed to do was to squeeze the band tighter and Gayle is in complete panic mode by now. So I called Gr. Grace for help. She picked us up and took us to Clark's Jewelry Store and he cut the ring off. I am sorry to say that was the end of Gayle's ring, but I am still wearing mine occasionally.

2 comments:

Gary White said...

Reva, Welcome aboard HMS Cedar Vale! Great to see a posting from you. Feel free to put things up here as often as you would like.

Unknown said...

Reva has a fantastic memory for the past. We should encourage her to share more of her memories.