Sunday, September 9, 2007

CV MAIN STREET--PAGE2



By Wayne Woodruff

Across the street south from the Post Office was a big vacant lot which sometimes served as parking in the overcrowded metropolis. But better yet, it sometimes served as the site of a traveling carnival that graced us with Tilt-a-whirl and cotton candy. I seem to remember one year the chain on the rotating swing broke and sent someone flying through the air. ??????

The next business was the most important one in town, at least to some; the beer parlor. I don't remember who owned or ran it because my Baptist father would have thrashed me if I went into that den of iniquity. But it was popular, none the less.

Next, I believe, was Whitney's Drug, and I will not try to elaborate on that establishment because the article by Gary White was a much more complete summary of the wonderful place than I could ever concoct. Read his treatise.

Next was Andy Early's Haberdashery. Andy was a weazened little old guy who was as friendly as anyone in town. He usually was seated out in front of the store, and if anyone wanted to buy something, he would get up and go into the store. Otherwise, he sat out there and talked to anyone that walked by. He and my dad were good friends and they would often walk to the others store to pass some time.

The business just south of Andy Early's was the Leonard Theater. Again, I will defer to the recent article written by Gary White which goes into detail about Bill and Maude. The only thing in his paper that he doesn't mention is the presence of the rats that had the run of the theater and DID run over our feet in the dark. The theater closed when Bill died, and it was very much like the novel and movie "The Last Picture Show" by Larry McMurtry; when the theater closed it seemed to signal the demise of the community. I remember that normal movies were twelve cents for little kids in the early forties, but when the first color movie came to town, it was $2.50. "Duel in the Sun". I have seen reruns of that recently and it was not worth $2.50.

The Moon's Grocery was next in the row of buildings. Mr. Moon was a tall, stooped, gaunt gentleman, and he and his family lived in an apartment above the store, if my memory serves. Their daughter, Linda, was a year or two younger than I. I don't know when they opened the store nor how long it was there.???????

On the end of the block was the old First National Bank. At that time it was an elegant affair, at least in the mind of a young boy. I could go in there and there were no security cameras nor guards, but there was a bowl of peppermint candies, and Ray Oltjen and Owen Hubbard didn't seem to mind that this little kid was eating their candy. They had the nicest, prettiest cashiers working there, all female, no men. One of the Magnus girls worked for a while and I believe Lucille Littrel also worked there. Now, gone but not forgotten.

Turning west off of the main street, we go along side of the bank and come to a little grain and feed store entrance. I don't know who owned that; maybe it was part of Grant Utt's business????

Next came the high point of the whole town, Herb's Café, of course owned by Herb Marshall and his wife. The home of the best chili and the most delicious greasy hamburgers in the world. I will say no more about Herb's because you-all over the years have known it well.

Then came Cross Hardware, owned by Glenn Cross. I don't know how it competed with Adams Mercantile, but it was around for many years. Glenn had a daughter, Sandra, a few years younger then I. They lived in a house at the corner of what is now Chestnut and Monroe, just down the block from Jess Foust lived with his lovely daughter and talented son.

No comments: