Sunday, September 9, 2007

Early life of Wayne Woodruff.


Born in 1937, Winfield, Kansas. ?St. Mary's Hospital?? The family lived in Cedar Vale, 32 miles from Winfield and a hospital. At that time, Dr. Hays had just finished medical school and had opened a practice in Cedar Vale, but had no hospital, yet. So, when my mother announced that little Wayne was on the way, Dr. Hays packed her up and drove to Winfield to the big city hospital. (Winfield was around 10,000 people at that time). When my little sister was born, four years later, she had the luxury of borning in the new Hays Hospital in Cedar Vale, just across the street from our modest little home. Interesting story, as I remember, how we got the house. The house belonged to "Aunt Frankie Seeboldt" ( I can't vouch for the accuracy of that spelling ) and she wanted to sell the house, but my folks had just moved to town and did not have the $1000 to buy the house. I am not sure why, but she loaned my dad the $1000 and I assumed she was paid-back in time. He must have been a trustworthy-seeming fellow, because before they moved to Cedar Vale, he had wanted to buy the cleaning shop. Again, having no money, it seemed to be an impossible dream. However, my mother's Aunt Ina, who had plenty of money, again loaned him what was needed. I assume she was also reimbursed.

3 comments:

Gary White said...

Wayne, I, too, was born in St. Mary's Hospital in spite of the fact that my parents were living in Sedan at the time.

DFCox said...

I'm sure you know it was Aunt
Frankie Seabolt's house. I always knew it was the Schrader House and Melvin Schrader's Mother lived in it. Somewhere along the line Melvin must have sold it to the Seabolts. DFCox

DFCox said...

OK Wayne, I've learned some genealogy. Mrs Schrader. Melvins mother, was a Seabolt and I guess that explains why the Schrader house became the Seabolt house.