Monday, August 3, 2009

Remembering the Robinsons

The class of '59 which had their fiftieth reunion this year was so very fortunate to have as a member Margaret Robinson Kennedy. Her parents, Lincoln and May were very active in the community and made a difference in the whole town, but what I want to tell is the difference they made for me, as a classmate and friend of Margaret. This is just one of several to come.

As we (our class) began to show the beginning of adolescents, the Robinson's conceived the idea of sponsoring folk dance instructions to help, I think (in retrospect) us become socially more sure of ourselves and become (maybe) more graceful. Thus, the sessions began.

A couple of instructors from Ark City came to Robinson's house where the rugs had been rolled back for our dance floor. Now, all the students in our class were invited and only one or so
declined. We had nearly even count of boys and girls. We learned such dances as "Put Your Little Foot," "Oh Johnny, Oh," some polkas and square dances.

All of us girls were so excited about the dances, with maybe the exception of Margaret, but she was a good sport as always. Most of the dances involved changing partners and I don't think we had steady beaus at that age.

As I recall, some of the other parents became involved, moving the dances to the hall above the old post office. They went on fairly regularly during our 7th and 8th grade, and I'm sure they made a difference in our awkward adolescents.

Just an example of two parents involving themselves in a very positive way into their child's development, as well as the rest of us, some who needed this experience more than others.

Although they are no longer here, we had one of our reunion parties at the Robinson house in May, where Margaret served as a gracious hostess. There we were in the exact rooms where we danced fifty-five or so years ago. Thank you, Mr. and Mrs. Robinson.

More to come,

Diane Archer Bradbury

6 comments:

Unknown said...

That was another wonderful thing the Robinsons did for the community, at least for your class.
I don't remember even knowing about that at the time, but it would have been good for many of the other "kids" in the town, including me, to have had that kind of opportunity. I was and still am a lousy dancer, and a "course" like that would have made me enjoy dancing and been more proficient. You all were a lucky group.

Diane Bradbury said...

I wish some of the class of '59 would comment on what they remember from these dances. I'm sure there zre some unique memories. - Diane

DFCox said...

Lincoln and May always tried to present another side of living to we countryfied Cedarvalians and at the same time they were faithful civic boosters. I recall things like linen, crystal, china, and silver on their dinner table with fresh cut flowers. They also had (horror of horrors) cocktails at the appropriate hour. My teetotaler mother tried to shield me from that. I was older than the Robinson brood so I missed the dance lessons. ---Pity, I sure could have used them.

Jay D. Mills said...

Diane,

I too remember the dance lessons. It helped me to be a lousy dancer.. an improvement from no-good-at-all.

I also remember the tennis court where I learned a game that stayed with me for many years. That was another example of the Robinson's providing something to enrich our lives that was not available anywhere else in Cedar Vale. They will certainly be remembered as providing a preview of the wider world to the lucky few. I am happy that I was included in their lives in a small way.

Diane Archer Bradbury said...

Jay - Good to hear from you and to get your take on memories of the Robinsons. Do you remember our senior party at the Borrum Ranch? I want to write about it but oould use some help.

Jay D. Mills said...

Diane, sorry I don't remember the party so afraid I can't help.