Monday, August 10, 2009

I STAND CORRECTED

Most of you know that the Cedar Vale "Lookout" is carrying most of the memories blog pieces with the comments. They usually appear in print 2 to 3 weeks after we have read them on the Blog. Many people have told me "that is the first thing I read when I get the paper because I enjoy it so" All of the people who comment are my age or older.
Rick's entry about the local bachelors certainly did get responses. So many had memories and corrections to make--I get them on the phone. For Example:

The Pierce Brother of Ozzie was Roy, they lived in the rambling house at the corner of Maple St and Lawrence St. here in town.

Floyd and Lloyd were the Slaten Bros. as stated. They also had their father in the house with them out there on the mountain. Floyd was a bit larger and stronger then Lloyd according to Treva Sartin White. Floyd worked for Treva's father, Mr. Sartin, as the "separator man" on the Sartin threshing machine. Each year they pulled the machine down into Oklahoma So. of Pawhuska and made their way back to the Sartin Place in Lookout Valley--harvesting/threshing at several farms along the way. This started with a steam engine which pulled the machine at a snails pace and powered it when it was threshing. Treva tells of her mother who at the end of the day sent sandwiches or leftovers home with Floyd that he could share with Lloyd and his father. Some of this went back to when Treva's grandfather was the head of things.
Slaten was a good worker and a valued member and of the team and everyone tried to keep him happy. This left Lloyd who was also a good worker and most likely the man Carl Mills dad had hired. Probably Lloyd was the one who lagged behind cuz he had to carry the bread. Another interesting tidbit; The Slatens had a roadster coupe parked in a shed at their place although they walked and never drove. I'm told the James Humble, who some of you will remember as a teacher at CVHS, talked the boys into selling him the roadster which he fixed and drove for awhile (no I don't know what years, or what kind of car it was). It was abandoned to rot and rust away at the Humble home east of town.
Frankie Fulsome reminded me that it was "Dutch" Wininger who came to Cedar Vale. He was the cowboy, not the overalls brother, and he lived in the Motel next to the Hospital, but was not in the extended care unit. He was in and out of the Hospital several times near the end.
Mark Johnson reminded me that there were other bachelors out in Lookout Valley in that era. Fred Montgomery and his brother lived on Rock Creek south and west of the Johnson place. Fred finally married in his 70s and the brother went to live in a house a bit north and west of the Ralph Houston place. Mark also remembered that some of the Campbell brothers never married and went thru life as bachelors.

2 comments:

Phil Foust said...

As always ... excellent, Don!

Pat Pate Molder said...

I agree, Don. EXCELLENT ! This is so much fun for me to read and reminiscence. Don's dad was right on about the good cantaloupe. I remember the brothers walking by where we lived in the Georgia Chapman house. Another bachelor, was my Uncle Wayne Parks who lived, with his Mother, (my great grandmother) Emma Parks five miles south (I guess south) of town on the same road as Vera Sheldon's parents. It hurts bad when I drive by and see the house falling down.