Sunday, August 16, 2009

My Baseball Career

A few months ago Wayne presented his experience in trying to fufill his childhood dream of becoming a major league baseball player. I too had such an experience that I would like to share with you.

As background, we had a pretty good team in high school. Wayne, Lloyd snyder and I either pitched or played in the outfield, and when one of us tired, the other would come in and relieve.

We did very well until our senior year when we played Burden for a chance to go to the state tournament. As I recall, we were behind in the eighth inning with runners on first and second and I was at bat. I hit a line drive over the left fielders head and I thought, holy crap, I hit a home run. As I rounded second base, the shortstop was holding the ball and smilling like a donkey in heat. We did not score any more runs, and I have always blamed myself for not paying attention.


After High School, Wayne and I played American Legion ball in Winfield and went to the state tournament. I pitched the first game and needless to say, we lost. After that, I played town team ball for a team in Winfield and did pretty well. Later, I met a scout from the Milwaukee braves who was in Wichita watching their farm team, the Wichita Braves. He saw me pitch a couple of times, and asked me if I would try out for their team. I said sure, so I got in shape and did the try out thing.

I guess I didn't do too badly, because he said he could sign me for $5,000.00. I talked to my parents and my friends and anyone else that would listen. After a while, I had to give up.

I couldn't come up with the $5,000.00.



The end of my career.

5 comments:

DFCox said...

I have this strange feeling in my left leg. It feels like someone is pulling on it. I wonder what $5,000 1956 dollars would be worth today? Good entry Dick, made me smiley.

Unknown said...

There is nothing like good fantasy to bring back the good old days, in one form or another. Thanks, Dick. Keep fantasizing for us. Like Don said, makes us smiley.

Dick Williams said...

Me fantasize? Maybe about all of the good looking girls at CVHS, but about my future, no way. If any of you knew of my frugal nature, you would know that I would never pay anyone $5,ooo.oo for anything, let alone a bad risk.
(you did realize that he wanted me to pay him for me to play ball). Not likely. Besides, I took most of this from Bob Ueker's play book.

Unknown said...

Dick, maybe you could give us a quick run-down evaluating all the good looking girls at CVHS. I am so old and senile, that I can't remember.

Dick Williams said...

As a wise old man once said, The worst of the bunch was friggin beautiful.