Thursday, July 30, 2009

THE CEDAR VALE RODEO

 
Did you ever go to the rodeo in Cedar Vale?  Usually on a Sunday afternoon, and on special days like the Fourth of July, Memorial Day and Labor Day among others.  I recently drove into Cedar Vale and down to the old rodeo grounds, and as I sat there looking at the remnants of that wonderful place, I could hear the sonorous tones of Jack Guthrie singing about the Oklahoma hills.  At every rodeo, that song was played at full volume over the loud speaker of the rodeo grounds and was heard by the scores of folks sitting on the few benches around the edge of the arena, but mostly sitting in and on their vehicles.  It was a memorable place, and seemed to attract all manner of citizens from bankers and doctors to wild teen-age girls and boys on the prowl.  To me the highlight of the rodeo was the bull riding and I can still remember the announcer telling us "Hear comes Merle Magnus on old Hurricane".  Now I really don't remember whether Merle road bulls, but someone TRIED to ride old Hurricane every Sunday to the accompaniment of the "Oklahoma Hills".  It was a place to visit and gossip with your neighbor, to meet new "boy" friends, to renew acqaintances with some who had come from Howard and Burden to watch or ride or rope, or a place to see your special guy or gal out of the sight of the father.    It was the place where old Billy Bonnell had supposedly set the World's Record time for calf roping, at least that was the storyl
      So listen to old Jack Guthrie sing about the Oklahoma hills, close your eyes, and drift back to the days of yore in the city of the Cedars.
     

YouTube help center | e-mail options | report spam

waywoodruff has shared a video with you on YouTube:

Oklahoma Hills by Jack Guthrie

© 2009 YouTube, LLC
901 Cherry Ave, San Bruno, CA 94066



--
Wayne Woodruff

5 comments:

Phil Foust said...

Good memories, Wayne ... and yes, I enjoyed the rodeos at CV. Perhaps I have told this story ... but one time I especially remember. My Uncle Dale was one of the officials checking the calf tying, etc. After awhile, the old pro then took his turn at roping his calf.

He came out impressive enough with his rope ready to show his skill ... when alas, as he was almost ready to lasso the poor animal ... he roped only the tail of his horse.

Unknown said...

Dale was a cowboy after my own heart.

Jim Robinson said...

Wayne, your postings are always vivid and telling; and occasionally I would like to thank you for one without boring everyone else on the blog.
I hope I am not violating blogging protocol, which I don't know about, but my email is jbrcinti@yahoo.com, and I would be happy to have other addresses so I could send individual notes of no conceivable general interest.

Unknown said...

Jim (and everyone else) my email is waywoodruff@gmail.com
It would be good to hear from you.

Butch Bridges said...

Where is Cedar Vale?