Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Gypsies & Hobos ...



During the 30's, 40's, and early 50's gypsies and hobos periodically roamed the Cedar Vale area. Many stories have been told about the impact that these folks had on our country. Someone with much bravado managed a rare photo of this group invading our territory. Being a bit strange myself these folks became special to me as they determined to reside locally.

Thinking a few of you might have a bit of interest in what happened to these unusual folks I will allow you some insight into their lives. From left to right:

1. This person had wonderful artistic ability. After being somewhat normalized she eventually evolved into a commercial artist in Wichita and Atlanta using her talents for leading department stores. During her time in our school system she was a cheerleader for both the Mustangs and Broncos. She married and had a family but has had the misfortune to have suffered from ill health. This talented gal currently resides in the Atlanta, Georgia area.

2. This individual had a voice that could melt your heart especially as she warbled a love ballad. Her emotion and feeling dovetailed nicely with a beautiful style. An older brother was known to some of you. One of our bloggers reportedly had his heart stolen for awhile by this female making for a dazzling dimpled duo. She later married another and had a family and reportedly lives in the Peoria, Illinois vicinity.

3. This person developed into one of the more popular folks in high school .. especially with those that did not mind a bit of spirit. Sports would have been part of her forte but the school prejudicially precluded such activities for her gender. The band was honored with the presence of her and her clarinet. Sadly, a marriage choice proved unwise but the family resulting from said union has allowed her much solace. Currently she is living with the lout in the town between two lakes - Marion, Kansas.

4. Finally, this gal was as silly as a goose and even had a known moniker of SOS. At the same time, she was super sharp and it was fantastically fun to be in her presence. She had a rather classical singing voice and played the trombone. In fact, it can be said that she performed the shortest trombone duet in the history of the storied high school. She married and had a family. Last heard she was living with her good husband in Branson, Missouri and is a quite religious lady. Her brother is married to one of our best looking bloggers.

Certainly, Cedar Vale should be proud to have turned around the lives of these vagrants. They arrived as untested and with the social graces of those unfortunates not living in the general area. The town of Cedars transformed them into four folks (almost) like the majority of those living in the Caney River Valley of western Chautauqua County, Kansas. Remarkable!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful picture and narative, Phil.
1. DONNA
2. NADINE?
3. PAT
4. JANICE S.

??

Phil Foust said...

Pretty sharp, WW .. 100%!

Unknown said...

HARD TO FORGET OUTSTANDING GIRLS LIKE THOSE FOUR. ESPECIALLY THAT THIRD ONE, NICHT WAHR?(GERMAN)

Don Shaffer said...

You hit a nerve, my dear friend, Phil!

First of all, I wonder where and when was this picture taken? I look at each of these "stars" and say, "how come it is that I was so lucky to know them all?"

First, on the left was "The" Donna!" She was the "Meg Ryan" of C.V.! Beautiful blond hair! Winsome smile, that could melt a bashful boy, on her front porch, into a state of "WOW!"

Next to her, to the right on your picture, was Nadine. Yes, she could sing! She could also play the bass drum! She could do anything she wanted to do, it seemed! When I read Phil's blog, I wonder, "what is playing in Peoria, her hometown?!!!" Whatever it is, I'm sure it is special! I remember her brother, Don. I remember her.

Pat, is the next one! Have you ever tried to tell someone how special they were, and didn't have the words to tell them? Well, we have here, a special girl, full of life, with a laugh that could ignite a roaring time, that could never be forgotten!

Janice. How I wish I was where you are tonight~! You brought so many smiles to my life! You bought my wife and me together...on a blind date!
You were Mary Tyler Moore and Lucy, all in one! Just to see you now, would be worth at least one turn of the world~~!!! :)

Well, Phil, you have turned some pages! Pages that will always be in a book of memories that will never be forgotten!

What can I say but, THANKS, for reminding me that "those were the days, my friend, and they will never end!" And allow me, my friend, because of you, those days will never be obsuure!

Unknown said...

More thoughts on the young ladies in the picture. When I was a sophomore and junior in H.S., I was, as Phil put it, smitten with Nadine Stanhope. I thought she was (at that time) the most beautiful thing in the world. Now, looking at the picture, I can see that she was no more so than any of the other friends smiling at the camera. Why did I think her so gorgeous?? Because she was SO nice. She was nice to everyone, even to younger boys afflicted with adolescent adoration. Unlike some of the "big girls", she did not shun the young boys, but was friendly and kind to all. One sultry summer afternoon I was mowing the lawn at the Episcopal Church and just HAPPENED to look over the alley into Stanhope's backyard where Nadine just HAPPENED to be sunning her lovely body. So, I got up my courage and went over to talk to her, and she was as nice as could be. She took a little piece of plywood that was lying around the yard and drew a self portrait on the wood and gave it too me. I carried that little 2x2 piece of wood close to my heart for years, at least until I met another gorgeous girl from Hewins, then the plywood went into the fireplace.

Phil Foust said...

Who was the gorgeous girl from Hewins, Wayne?

Unknown said...

I have been forbidden to mention her name. Seems she is a bit bashful. But I am sure that if Gary Metcalf and Roy Walkinshaw are still awake, they will know.

DFCox said...

Excuse this older guy for being out of the loop, but are we reading of Donna Burch, Nadine Stanhope, Pat Oltjen, and Janice Sartin? Did the girl from Hewins last name start with an "F" ?

Don Shaffer said...

Wayne, just curious, how do you hold a piece of wood, 2 x 2, close to your heart, for years!

Did not splinters occur?

P.S. Can you tell us more about where you were when you threw it into the fireplace?

Unknown said...

DFC= you are correct on both counts.

Don S.- Yes, but those splinters were pains of ecstasy.
Fireplace at the old homestead. When Nadine was graduated, it seemed my chances left with her, so I had that private fireplace ceremony.