Sunday, January 18, 2009

Hubert Cox and Roy Prather

I remember as a 9 or 10 year old boy going fishing with Hubert and Roy. They loved to set lines and went whenever they could. I was lucky enough to be invited to go with them several times.

They had a small wooden boat that appeared to be home made. It was very well built, I wonder if they made it.

After Roy would finish his mail route we would go catch bait. The worms we used were dug north of Ralph Snyder's house in a drainage area. Some of them old worms were 10" long.

They would load the boat on Roy's flat bed Ford farm truck and would keep the bait fish in a wire cage down on Cedar Creek.

We would head out after supper to set and bait the lines. Hubert would do the rowing and Roy would tie and bait the lines. He would let me hand him the bait, small perch. We would head out about daylight to run the lines. Roy usually wore a brimmed hat and puffed on a fat cigar, Roy Tan I believe. Hubert wore a ball cap and hightop tennis shoes without the strings. When they would put the boat in the river in the morning there was always a lot of slipping and sliding and falling down on the wet slippery creek banks.

I remember catching several 20 to 40 pound flatheads. They would sure flop when Roy would throw them in the bottom of the little boat. They would put them in a gunny sack for the trip home and they would clean them in Hubert's back yard.

On one trip Hubert told me to be at his house at 6:00 a.m. for breakfast. When I got there they were sipping coffee and cooking. We had french toast and fried perch with orange juice. I can still almost taste it today. Those were the good old days.

Rick Hollister

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rick, Nice to hear from you and about your memories of a couple of neat "old men". You have hit it on the head; those were "the good old days". And down below, it is always good to listen to Phil remember his good old days.

Anonymous said...

Rick, I forgot to mention that your dad was one of my favorite "old men" as I was growing up.

Unknown said...

Sorry about the "anonymous". I find that it is easier to click the anonymous button that to type in my identity.

Phil Foust said...

Rick, that was one fine "fish story". It's great to have you "on board" and to read your memories!

Anonymous said...

Diane Archer--the email I send to you keeps coming back undeliverable.???????????????

DFCox said...

Good on you Rickey!! Your memory piece is so fine! Well maybe I'm prejudiced since you write of my Dad. The wooden boat you remember was made by Hubert. When he retired he needed projects and he ordered a "kit" from Sears. The boat came in pieces--fine plywood boat body, solid wood seats, and all the glue and wood screws were part of the package. The plywood panels had to be dampened and shaped and there were clamps to hold it right while the glue dried. He must have done an excellent job as that little boat had a long life. I continued using it when I was in CV up into the eighties. I think I sold it to someone after 30 years of use and it was still good.

I'll bet you gave those old guys more enjoyment than they gave you. I hope we hear more from you.