Sunday, January 18, 2009

I remember ...


My first visit as a teenager to my birthplace was in the summer of 1948. This was just a few months before we moved back when my dad took over his duties as Mobil Bulk Agent. As a junior high student in the "big town" of Winfield my friends were less than impressed with my description of the jewel of Chautauqua County which was to be my new home. Nevertheless I was excited to be coming back home!
My first day of school was in October as we had just moved into the Georgia Chapman Apartments. Band practice at the high school was the initial stop and I remember the friendly manner of the students as I walked down the hall though I was just a new little shrimp. After practice, the most genial Mr. Beggs transported me to my first day as an eighth grader at CV Grade School. I still remember the not unpleasant but unmistakable aroma of the school on the hill which I suppose was the residue of the daily cafeteria cooking.

John Morton was my teacher and he was strict (in a sense). He more than once whipped me with a hole drilled paddle. Individual misdeeds are not recalled but it is remembered that I felt not mistreated in his administration of justice. He perhaps was not as observant in regard to scholastic matters as I never secured any of the textbooks different from those in use at Winfield. Among the good students in my class were Bertle Gurskey, Charlene Smock, Myrna Cable, Tom Randel, Tom Gordon, Delores Hall, and Shirley Sweaney. Bright kids (but not necessarily excellent students) would have perhaps been Karl White, Ivan Wilkinson, and Charles Oliver. Ornery kids would include Ivan (The Terrible) Donahue, Kenneth (Gravy) Graves, and Keith (Stinky Cheater) Ziegler.

The grade school boys played the high school freshmen in football and we were pretty much demolished. One of our good players was Deon Rainbolt who must have received a small concussion from the contest as I don't believe he was quite himself for awhile. Our basketball team wasn't tremendous but I believe we won more than we lost. One of our major feats was in winning a tournament at Chautauqua. Some of our current bloggers were on that somewhat less than distinguished team but later grew into renowned athletes (or perhaps some would suggest that the sentence should have ended at 'grew'). A life's lesson was learned when we played Dexter. Prior to tip off the player whom I was guarding was quite friendly. As play began he most purposely tripped me. I have never forgotten that situation and the name of the fellow - Calvin Brazle.

What do I remember about this era of Cedar Vale? Well, though I had no memory of my first time living in CV (back in the 30's) I felt strangely very much back home. At that time a young man in a new town often had to deal with proving yourself. Though I had a few fights no one ever really beat me up and even the few bully types seemed to be not mean spirited. I remember telling my dad that I could handle some of the boys and I was friendly with the others. (He didn't talk much but he smiled at my revelation.)

I remember the crowd at Hankins Drug Store with so much fun visiting and consuming the delicious soda fountain concoctions. I remember the summer rodeos along with the dances and liquor and fights at the aging but most graceful Hewins Park Pavilion. The throngs of people downtown on Saturday nights shopping, visiting, and attending the movies. I remember Labor Day Parades and American Legion Poker. The 'big boys' actually befriending the 'little boys'. I remember the beautiful big girls and wishing I was one of the big boys. Some of the teachers were most likely secretly wishing to kill the little snot-nose kids who disturbed the learning atmosphere of the classes. I remember the Mr. Humble-type that managed to achieve discipline and to teach with so much excellence and the Mr. Stocking-types who were wonderful folk but seemingly had no clue of how to teach certain subjects. I remember instructor "Wild Bill" Foster and the skunk placed in his vehicle trunk.

I remember fording the river and washing vehicles downstream from the dam and below the beautiful old bridge. The falls of Ozro and the nature trail roads to interesting Hewins and historic Elgin. I remember either a carnival or circus at Hewins Park but the lasting memory was the intriguing but forbidden 'girly show'. Discussions of hush-hush sexual matters with good friends both male and female as a 'mature' eighth grader. I remember my first 'real' kiss and I remember also the first feelings of what surely must have been love. Gosh, I so fondly remember lover's lane and other similar destination areas.

I remember the only loss (at the state tournament) for the basketball team of 49/50 and the good football team one year earlier. A wonderful baseball coach and horseshoe expert - Roy Smith. I remember the outstanding trumpet trio and the less than outstanding (but so much fun) trombone duet and boys vocal quartet. I remember band concerts and trips to Grenola, Coffeyville, Sedan, Arkansas City, and Independence for parades. Talent night at the Sedan Fair and the old barn at the fairgrounds where the intense CV/Sedan basketball games were conducted. I remember the truly impressive (at the time) Jr./Sr. banquets and the school dances. The "Cedar Vale Messenger" and the weekly anticipation of same. I remember the hospital and the doctor who made house calls and delivered me across the street from the high school. The Dentists Stone whom so nicely served the community without greed. I remember the super busy livestock sale barn and all of the fun characters thereof. I remember "Squeaky" Richardson and Junior Couch and the city jail. How could I forget a good man - Lincoln Robinson? I remember Maude Leonard and her grape consumption prior to payment at the grocery store and Otto Morton (our very own clairvoyant and movie critic). I remember Jimpy and Twid at the barber shop. The system of sales at L.C. Adams Mercantile with the cash and ticket going upstairs to the office and with the change returned via the same small cable car. I remember Carl Steward and his Caney Valley Electric employees yearly erecting the large Christmas Tree. Oh yes, and the anticipatory excitement of receiving a valued letter at our post office box.

I remember thinking my dad just didn't understand and then later realizing his superior intelligence and common sense. The wonderful roller coaster feeling of going over small hills too fast and the awesome entry into the town with the view of our very own mountain. I remember driving through the end of our garage after a particularly exhilarating date and stepping through the kitchen ceiling in the attic of our new home after my dad warned me to not wander off a particular board way. Uncle Dale giving me the largest $20 bill ... ever ... as I met up with him at Arkalala and the great fun of playing cards with Cecil and L. Doran Wesbrook. I remember the regal bearing of my Great-Grandmother Jessie Wesbrook and Grandfather Phil Foust and his handsome appearance around town in a suit of clothes while driving his gigantic Green Packard.

I remember all of this and so much more about those years in Cedar Vale and the special feeling that made the town ... home!



7 comments:

Diane Archer Bradbury said...

Phil: Reading your blog brought back so many memories and truly provided a feeling deep within that said “Cedar Vale” and “Home.”
Thanks for writing and also for all the pondering to come up with the lists of things, some of which I had forgotten! It was great.

DFCox said...

Phil you just step up and hit it out of the park every time. What a great montage of memories. I'm curious about "Squeaky" Richardson. You mentioned him before. He must have had the grocery delivery post after Dana McGill did it. I kind of remember him, but I guess I was away at school and wheat harvest while you were toiling for Maurice Smith. Where did the Richardson family come from? Where did they live Etc.?

Phil Foust said...

Don, "Squeaky" was the brother of Merit White's wife. Seems like her name was Mary (but anyway, Don White's uncle). He had a wife and family as I remember but I don't recall their residence. Yes, he was the produce and delivery man after Dana McGill and a truly nice fellow but with a voice that was truly "squeaky".

DFCox said...

Phil, do you happen to have a photo of your grandfather and the big green Packard? I'd love to see it. If not on the blog, maybe an email. Just a Packardphile.

Diane Archer Bradbury said...

Merrit White's wife's name was Lila or something close. They lived across the highway from us for awhile.

Phil Foust said...

Diane, thanks ... Don, unfortunately I have no photo with the "original" Phil Foust and his humongous Packard.

Carolyn said...

Jessie Wesbrook was also my great-grandmother. I don't remember her, but I remember an 8x10 photograph of her that my dad had. He was very fond of her, and I do remember what she looked like in that photo, although I probably haven't seen it for 40-50 years.
I had a psych prof at Pittsburg who was from Cedar Vale who said that he was a friend of Cecil Wesbrook's.
I can only remember going to Cedar Vale once when I was about 7.
I grew up in the Kansas City area. My grandmother was Mabel Wesbrook, and I am her younger son's daughter, Carolyn.
My dad was John, known as Junior. He died in 10/2009. When I was writing the obituary, the funeral director had never heard of Hooser, KS, so I have been Googling it and have found some info about his family.