Sunday, December 14, 2008

JACKIE RAY FOSTER

As there are several blog participates and readers of the class of 55’ and others that attended CV high in the 50’s, I thought there might be some interest in an update on Jack and a story about him being responsible for my first skiing endeavor.
In the late 60’s, Jack was managing a nursing home in Arkansas City. He and wife Donna lived across the street from a couple named Ron and Dixie. They became good friends. Ron was an insurance adjuster and had a co-worker named Don. Ron and Don had snow skied a few times and thought they were down hill experts. They talked Jack into going with them and after one time he also became a down hill expert.
I was living in Wichita and the next time they went, Jack talked me into going with them, so I could also become a down hill expert, just like them. They picked me up after I got off work at 5 o’clock and we headed to Colorado, in a VW bug. Four guys, luggage and skis, cozy, but cheap. (Actually we did this several times) Driving all night, sleeping as best we could in the bug and in the ski operation parking lot at 9 o’clock, waiting for the lifts to open. I rented my ski equipment and in those days long skis were in vogue……. twice a long as I was tall. Totally impossible for me to maneuver. They took me to the beginners slope, showed me how to get a hold of the rope tow, up the beginners slope, trying to keep both ski’s going the same direction. Showed how to snow plow down the slope. I mostly was on my butt.
We did this twice and the second time they said to try and end up at the chair lift. They went to great detail on how to get on the chair lift, ski’s straight, bend knees and sit down on chair and let the chair lift me off the snow. With some difficulty I did manage to get onto the chair and up this great, high mountain we went. I rode with Jack and the scenery was terrific. I was awestricken by the beauty. Now… they went to get detail on how to get on the lift, but no one mentioned on how to get off. All of a sudden there is this big mound of snow and the chairs are going around this big wheel and heading back down the slope. Jack slipped out of the chair and skied away and I’m trying to get those 10-foot things attached to my feet pointing in the same direction. Anyway the chair starts going around this big wheel with me still on the chair…. and 5-6 foot above the snow. The operator stopped the lift and I jumped. Fortunately no bones were broken and the guys were doubled over laughing.
After they gained their composure, I was informed of the next great challenge. Getting down this 12,000 ft. mountain that was straight down. I thought it was the end of the world and certainly I would never live to tell about it. I was down more than I was up and when finally arriving at the bottom of the slope, I looked more like the abominable snow man than a down hill expert. And……. skiing is supposed to be fun.

We skied two days, when the lifts closed a 4 0’clock, we headed back to Kansas. Getting home at 2-3 o’clock in the morning, a couple hours of sleep, getting up and being at work at 8 o’clock. Oh…… to be young again and able to do such nonsense. For a few years we would go out to ski 3-4 times a year. I did master the chair lift and while we never became down hill experts, we became skilled enough to get down most slopes ….and skiing became a lot, lot more fun. We even became a little more affluent and graduated out of the VW bug .

All good things must come to an end and with wives, family, work and age, it became more difficult for us to get together. However, even after moving to California Ron and I would meet in Colorado once or twice a year.

Now back to Jack. Nancy and I went to CV the last of October to visit our mothers before heading to Arizona for the winter. We made arrangements for Ron, Don, Jack and I, with wives to meet in Wichita. It had been 25 years or so since we were all together. We spent two nights and one day together. The ladies went to the mall shopping and we guys sat in an alcove of the hotel lobby from 10 o’clock in the morning until 4 that afternoon. We had a great time reminiscing and telling stories that had been forgotten over the years. Of course my first ski trip and chair lift experience was brought up a few times and each time it changed, to the point that I must I’ve been 50-60 feet in the air and they had to send a crane up the slope to get me off. Jack had some good stories about growing up in CV and the name Dick Williams came up frequently, but I’ll let Dick tell those stories.
Jack and Donna live on some acreage close to Bonner Springs, KS, where they have lived for the last 30-40 years. They have two daughters; one lives in KC area, the other in Minnesota and has two children. Jack and Donna moved to Bonner Springs to build and run a nursing home. As it ended up Jack became more involved in the national nursing home association and Donna ran the nursing home. Jack become very involved in raising, training and racing thorough bred racehorses. I can guarantee you that he can tell you more about racehorses than you ever want to know. Presently Donna has retired from the nursing home and Jack has limited his involvement in racehorses.
Last winter Jack had a long and painful bout with internal shingles. He said he has never experienced any thing so painful and at times to the point of being unbearable. He lost 40 pounds and still occasionally has light attacks. There is a vaccine available now and he advises every one to get the shots and not go through what he did.
We talked about Gary W’s blog and the readers and participates. I gave Jack the web site address and hopefully he will become a reader and participate.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry this got posted twice, can't figure out how to delete one of the posting.

Unknown said...

I thought that second one sounded familiar. Seriously, it is good to hear interesting stories about the guys and gals we grew up with. Even if we have to read them twice.

DFCox said...

"Jackie" grew up across the street from me. Wayne Woodruff and Bob Hays were his playmates. I'm glad to hear about his life. Now if we could just get Bob Hays involved--.

Gary White said...

Your blog administrator has cleaned up the duplication in the posting. You can't do it, Gary, but I can as the admin. Thanks for the great memory piece. I certainly hope the Jack joins us on the blog. I'm sure he has interesting tales to tell that we would all enjoy reading.

Phil Foust said...

Excellent, Gary Metcalf ... your posts are always so very interesting!

It is known that Bill Foster reads the blogs and I would enjoy some of his memories. Lesta, how about getting Bill to relate some of his stories for you to enter into a blog? (Ala the Sartins.)

Ronnie/Jolene Sartin ... isn't it about time for the Sartin team to allow us some of their memories? You too, Jolene! You too, Lesta! You too, those of you who haven't as yet "wet your feet".

Gary Metcalf said...

Thanks Gary for cleaning up my posting mess.

Don Shaffer said...

Great story, Gary! I can "see" you dropping down to the snow below! My one and only experience with skiing started with getting fitted with snow boots. They seemed very hard, difficult to get on and very uncomfortable to walk in. It remained that way until some kind soul told me that I had the left shoe on the right foot, and the right shoe on the left foot! Once that correction had been made, it was down the hill on the beginner slope! What complete freedom, as long as I held on to the rope, keeping me from sliding into utter oblivion! After my initial quest into the sport of skiing, and being rescued by people that were half, make that a quarter, my age, I packed up my camera, headed for the hills, and in the comfort of God's beauty, I found slopes and scenes more suitable for my mear talents!

Unknown said...

Well, I have to put in my two-cents worth. The first time I was coerced into skiing was on our honeymoon. We were driving from Oregon back to work/home in L.A. and we stopped at Mt. Shasta for the second night of the trip. Shasta was beautiful, all snow covered and very romantic. But then my new wife said, "Let's go skiing." Well, I should have had that marriage annulled right then. The Shasta ski resort was closed (Dec 1) but somewhere we rented ski equipment, drove out to the beginners area, trudged to the top of the slope,and begin falling down the mountain. No one should attempt skiing without some kind of instruction, but after a day of falls and spills and misery, we went back to the hotel, had a nice meal of shrimp scampi (how could I remember THAT?), then went to bed. I will not go into that part of the evening; there may be some minors reading this!! It was a day to remember(or forget).

Unknown said...

Sorry, I got this in the wrong Blog.