Friday, May 30, 2008

Traveling post WW11

I remember our first big family trip it was in 1947. We were to visit my Mom's relatives in Oregon and Washington. On this trip the extended family included Mom's parents, Pearl and Webb Ward, her sister, Carolee(16), Nancy(10), Jeanette(7), Billie(5), and Mom and Dad all packed into a 1942 Chevrolet. Billie sat on a wooden box wedged between the seats. Dad put a hinged lid on it and inside we had our food items.

Dad poured over the maps for days, planning the trip because I made a big deal out of going to all the States west of Kansas, 11 in all. This was shortly after the war, and traveling cross country was still rare with few amenities available.

We tried to stay in places with kitchenettes, this was before the days of motels. Most of the accomodations were rustic cabins. We ate a picnic lunch alongside the road. We usually had bolonga sandwiches and fruit. Believe it or not, we thought bologna was a treat as we never got it at home.

I remember one night we had to sleep alongside the road as we couldn't find a place to stay. I know we were packed like sardines, but I don't remember anyone complaining about the heat or being crowded. I guess we were so excited about getting to go that it never entered our heads to complain. Dad drove hundreds of miles out of the way so I could say I had been to all the western States.

Dad had $500. in cash and Grandad Ward had $100. for emergencies. That was to take care of three meals a day, two rooms a night, gasoline from Kansas to Washington (via all the States) and back. Add to that souvenirs for four adults and four children. All for a whole month! Grandad came home with most of the emergency fund, Dad said he had to dip into it once or twice.

On our trip we were allowed to purchase only one souvenir. Jeanette and I bought Navajo dolls and Billie chose an Indian headress. These we bought from a little Indian girl along the road side. The dolls are called Skookum Dolls. Many years later I saw one in an antique shop for $300. I still have it!

Since we didn't have the money or space to buy any more souvenirs, I collected rocks from each State so I could have something from each one. At the petrified forest I picked up a piece of petrified wood. (It wasn't illegal then.) In Idaho I found a black rock flecked with gold. I was sure it was the real thing! Sometimes it was hard to find a good rock so Dad helped me look until I found a keeper. When we go home, I labeled each rock and kept them in a shoe box for years.

It really didn't take much to make us happy! I wish I knew what ever happened to my rock collection.

6 comments:

Gary White said...

Beautiful memory story, Nancy. My family never did take an extended trip together, but they put me on the Santa Fe railroad to visit my aunt and uncle in Artesia, NM. Your story raised some of the excitement I felt in traveling all alone on that big train. Thanks for your contribution.

Gary White said...

Nancy, you probably remember when we were in the third or fourth grade and were required to memorize the states and capitals for all 48 states. There was a candy reward when we could accomplish the task without an error. Perhaps that was part of the impetus to visit all those states?

Unknown said...

Nancy, Enjoyed reading about your trip. I can relate to it as I remember taking a similar trip to California to visit my Dad's grandmother and family. Every time we stopped to get gas there would be a large souvenir shop and I was fascinated with the turquoise rings and the beaded belts. Mom let me buy a belt but I can't remember if I got the ring or not. And yes, I remember bologna & wieners being a real treat as we never usually had them. I also remember being fascinated with that awful margarine that came out with the little amber colored capsule that you had to mix into it to give it a yellow color. Go figure!

Phil Foust said...

Super trip, Nancy .. and even more super memories!

Your dad was special to allow his family such an adventure at a time when perhaps most Kansas folks didn't venture past Tulsa or Wichita. (Actually, a couple of counties might more accurately describe a traveling radius for many?)

DFCox said...

Your travel accounts always stir the memory section of my brain. In 1938 I was 7 yrs old and my sisters were 13 and 14 years old. My Dad and Mom set out on the ONLY driving trip of our childhood. There just wasn't money enough for that. Anyway the family piled into the 1936 Chevy 2door sedan to make a trip to the Colorado Rockies. It was blistering hot across western KS and Mom kept a block of ice under the dashboard ventilator and kept passing cool cloths to us to wipe away the perspiration. The scalding highways took a toll on our tires and even at 7 yrs old I could see the worry on his face as he was afraid of running out of money. I think he did have to call my grandfather Cox for a little loan to get us home. Many details of the trip escape me, but I remember Dad was a flyfisherman and wanted to catch some rainbow trout for us. He was so busy seeing to our needs that he hadn't much fishing time, and when he did they wouldn't bite. One evening he brought two minnow sized trout to our camp so we all had a bite to go with our gooseliver sandwich. I was soooo disappointed for him. Coming all that way, working that hard for us, and almost getting skunked. I just wasn't fair!! Even at that early age fishing seemed more important than having tires, or enough funds.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nancy, where did you go in Oregon? I live at Dallas, 15 miles west of Salem.