Sunday, June 1, 2008

TRIBUTE TO NANCY ANN

Fifty years ago today, Nancy Ann Hankins and I were married in the Cedar Vale Baptist Church. As I guess most marriages do, ours has had its up and downs, good times and not so good times, many happy times and some sad times. The trite saying that "opposites attract" may best describe our marriage. Nancy isn't the most athletic person or outdoorsy type. My greatest regret is that we didn't do more things together as she doesn't enjoy many of the things I like to do, i.e. hunting, sking, flying, running, motorcycling, horseback riding, roping, etc. And I don't like to quilt or shop. She has gone along with me doing these various pursuits and allowed me the freedom to enjoy these activities which I greatly appreciate. Some wives I know would make life miserable if they were not involved.

As I was trying to make a comfortable living, I was not as involved in raising our children as I should have been. She did an excellent job as we are blessed to have three wonderful children.

Back in Cedar Vale, I have never had a name. The people who knew Nancy as she was growing up in CV and the few old timers who are still around today, say, "Oh your Nancy's husband". Oh well maybe on our next 50th anniversday I'll have a name, that is of course if she will put up with me for another fifty years.

8 comments:

Gary White said...

Happy Anniversary, you two. Many more of the same!

Unknown said...

I knew you better than I did Nancy during our last years in CV, but I think you were both lucky people, to have each other. Keep it up.

Nancy Goode Schmid said...

Happy Anniversary to you both, you were very lucky to find each other!

Silly Ceil said...

Yes little brother, you have been blessed with a wonderful wife and I'm glad to see you appreciate her. I guess it runs in the family about the name problem, as I have always been known as "Gary's sister."

Phil Foust said...

...and I was known as the fella that used to live in the hometown of Gary and Nancy. Happy Anniversary, Mr. and Mrs. Metcalf!

Anonymous said...

I remember the wedding fondly. Congratulations to both of you!

----- Jim Robinson

Unknown said...

Nancy & Gary,

Congratulations and best wishes for many more years of happiness with each other. Gary, I always thought of you as Cecilia's younger brother!

Unknown said...

That's strange. I always thought of Silly Ceil as the smartest one in the family????