Saturday, April 12, 2008

My Life With O.D.Mills - My Father

This is the last of my series of articles on my early life on the farm near CV and in CV. It was the most difficult of all of the articles for me to write. Thanks for reading and sharing. Jay D. Mills, Volcan, Panama April 12, 2008.

Otis Daniel Mills, my dad, was born in Claremore, Oklahoma Territory, on October 6, 1897, the son of Orville and Emma Hawkins Mills. He lived most of his life in the Cedar Vale area.

When I was born, my father was 43 years old, and my mother was 40. We lived on a farm / ranch on Otter Creek northwest of Cedar Vale. In 1948 we moved into town, where I graduated from high school in 1959.

O.D. Mills didn’t like either of his given names, Otis or Daniel. He was an honest man and from all evidence he was respected and liked by most who knew him. As a young man, he worked for a time in the oil fields in Oklahoma and then returned to the family farm in Cowley County, near Cedar Vale. He was married to Nellie B. McGill and they had 2 sons, Carl H. now living in Arkansas City and Jay D. now living in Volcan, Chiriqui, Panama.

During the last 10 years of his life he was a "partner" with my brother in the farm and ranch operations. But mainly, he was a full-time tireless worker and promoter of the Cedar Vale Livestock Auction “Sale Barn”. He would spend several days each week traveling many miles in every direction from Cedar Vale persuading farmers and ranchers to bring their cattle to CV instead of sending them to other markets. His partners in the auction business were T. Fred Archer, auctioneer, and Ralph Snyder. The business grew from a small start into a thriving business in just a few years..

My brother Carl ran the scales used to stamp the official weight of the animals on the auction ticket after the sale. In the summers, during my high school years, I worked in the catch pens on the outgoing side of the auction ring. Someone would shout or announce the pen number, and I would have to run to open the correct gate, then close it quickly to be ready for the next animal(s) to come off of the scales.

My early memories are of my father working with the hired hands on the farm and listening to Walter Winchell on the radio on Sunday nights. Dad would sometimes take me with him in a wagon or on a tractor. He would also let me ride along when he was going a short distance on horseback and sometimes on longer rides.

One incident on horseback, when I was 4 or 5 years old, just about did me in. I was riding a big, gentle red-roan horse named Peanuts; not my own small pony. We were up in the hills in one of the pastures coming back from rounding up and moving cattle. For some reason, probably because I was lagging behind the group, I took a “short cut”. It took me out onto “Hogback Ridge”, a high and pointed hill with steep sides. Despite shouts of the men below, I urged the horse down the side of the hill. Under the grass were giant slabs of sloping, smooth stone. Peanuts was a wise old horse so when he slipped a little, he stopped. Then one of the men rode around and up the hill to save me. Luckily the horse was not hurt either.

Later, when I was 6 or 7 years old, dad was traveling around the local area and he would take me with him in the car. I was always happy to go, but often had to wait long periods of time for him to finish his business and return. At some point, when I was a little older and stronger, he would put me on his lap and let me steer the car down the gravel country roads.

My dad took me fishing and hunting with him from early childhood up through the last teenage years while he was alive. He came to my basketball, baseball and football games when he could, and supported by interest in sports, -- to the point of conspiracy with the football coach -- see my article on “Why I Couldn’t Wait to Leave Cedar Vale” in the 2007, November archive of this blog. He was naturally disappointed, to say the least, that I was not interested in farming or ranching, but in the end seemed to accept that I would make my living in some other way.

I remember my dad as a stern disciplinarian who was always ready to back up his words with a firm swat to the backside. I don’t believe that he was unfair, but it sometimes seemed that way – especially to a teenager. I had little opportunity to change that opinion in person, as he succumbed to a cancerous brain tumor just after I graduated from high school. In later years I had to come to terms with some guilt that I felt about our relationship. Now, I would not trade him for any other dad, although some good candidates have surfaced on the blog and elsewhere.

Let the dead past bury its dead and regrets, for today is the only day that I can live in!

15 comments:

Unknown said...

As usual, I greatly enjoyed your recollections of your early life and your dad. I guess we all thought our mothers were the greatest people on earth, but were not sure about our fathers until it was too late. We should have recognized what great people they were when they were alive, and let them know how we felt. But, if you believe in a life hereafter, then your dad knows how you feel about him.

Phil Foust said...

Jay, this is a wonderful tribute to an outstanding man.

Unknown said...

Maybe some articles about your life in CVHS and your experiences there???

Jay D. Mills said...

Thanks Phil! Wayne, I agree with the first comment. #2 -- Do you want me to describe the shy kid who couldn't dance...? Most of it is pretty hum drum.

Unknown said...

Well, actually, all of our lives are pretty hum drum if you really look at them closely. But I think that anything that we write is of interest to some others of us. After all, it is part of the wonderful years of our youth, and they seem to be gone forever. A lot of our bloggers don't seem to think they can entertain us, but whenever someone writes something, someone else will be inspired. So , have at it.

Unknown said...

Jay, Just to show you how people can write un-interesting things that someone will read. When I worked for Ralph Snyder, I remember he would pull big loads of alfalfa bales up to the hay barn that was right across from the sales barn. Then it was my job to unload and stack those bales in that hot barn. I think your job in the sales area sounds better.

Unknown said...

Jay,

The blogs help some of us realize that we weren't the only ones that were shy and couldn't dance so well. When you are a teenager you feel like you have handicaps and problems that no one else around you have.

Phil Foust said...

Dance? With my two left feet I could hardly walk. At the "Saturday Night Dances" ... as I walked by the line of gals it was embarrassing and devastating to my somewhat fragile ego to see them scatter like a covey of quail. Perhaps it wasn't just my dancing but my underwhelming looks and personality?

DFCox said...

The good dancers are the people with natural athletic ability--just my conclusion--and that never included me. Still I enjoy dancing and love to see those who do it well. Maybe that's why I keep putting those dance clips up on the blog.
I seldom missed the Saturday night "Belly Rub" at the CV Pavilion in my youth. Minnie Lawrence was my best teacher. She was always there and in in great spirits. She had sons older than me and grandchildren but that didn't slow her down a bit. (and she could adapt to my strange style).

Unknown said...

I like to think I was athletic, but when it came to dancing I was a born looser. I thought I could not dance, and because I thought it, I was afraid to ask any of the luscious young girls in our class, i.e. Gail Bennett, Reva Ramey, Naomi Grunden, Nancy Goode, Frieda Magnus,etc. I still don't dance.

Gary White said...

As for the theory that dancing ability goes with athletic ability, here is another contrary example. While I had never even tried to dance while I was a CV resident, I have since loved to dance and appear to be good enough that I don't step on my partner's feet too often. As for athletic ability, my lack thereof is legendary! I had a deal with the coach (Reginato??) that I would clean the locker rooms at PE time so I could avoid even the tiny bit of athletic exercise that PE required. Looking back, I don't see how that was a good deal for me!

Unknown said...

Gary, Another example of Reginato's incompetence. I guess I should blame my father, because he was on the school board that hired the coach.
It is interesting that Jay makes a small comment about his two left feet, and it opens up a whole bushel of responses from the other bloggers. Unfortunately, no responses from anyone but the same few that do all the "talking". But thank goodness for those.

Jay D. Mills said...

All, in spite of my natural athletic abilities, I plan to demonstrate my continuing inability to dance at my class' 50th reunion in 2009. If I cannot make it in person, perhaps I'll send a video.

Today was just another day in my mountain paradise. The low overnight was about 61 F and the high this afternoon was about 77 F. I'm not sure I can come to Kansas, even for a class reunion, unless you can promise similar temperatures.

I have a meeting tomorrow in David, about 40 miles from here. We had to pick some place that I knew the location of...Kentucky Fried Chicken, Pizza Hut, the Toyota dealer, or TGI Fridays. We are so deprived! Chuckle, chuckle.

Diane Archer Bradbury said...

Jay - Now don't start talking like you can't come to our 50th in '09.
Think positive and make it a goal.
We need to have 100 per cent. We've only lost one class member, Jim Buchele, who never missed a reunion. Someone should write an article about Jim and his life.
Any takers?

I'm sure any of the young ladies you guys wanted to dance with would have been happy to do so.
That teenage paranoia was rampant in Cedar Vale.

Unknown said...

I don't think it was so much paranoia as it was fear and intimidation. We were afraid of the girls. After all, what if we asked one to dance and she rejected us. We would never live it down. They might even get together and laugh at the poor boy. And in my case, my dancing was so poor that the girl would have walked away back to the shelter of the female group and regaled them with tales of the cloddy boy who stepped on her toes.