Sunday, May 30, 2010

Tomorrow is Memorial Day

It's after 10:00 p.m. Tomorrow is Memorial Day. Florists have been called. "Same placement as last year?", they said. "Yes, that would be fine and thanks for taking care of them and me, once again," came the reply. And I added, "Could you use yellow flowers this year, as last year I think it was red?" Somehow, the flowers didn't seem enough. I put down the phone and thought of my parents, the memories of them, the "forget-me-nots" they left.

I remember words my dad wrote in my "little autograph book" when I was a young lad!: "I've read these pages o'r and o'r, to see what others have written before, and here upon this vacant spot, I write the words, "FORGET ME NOT!"

Space will not suffice for all the "forget-me-nots" that Cedar Vale has given to my life. Looking through my mother's old albums, caused memories to abound...and realizing again, how rich that life was. And so, I close with these words:

"I've been places, some o'r and o'r, to see what others have done before,
Yet, Cedar Vale, here, on your special lot, none can compare to your "forget-me-nots!"
Tomorrow, Memorial Day will be commemorated in many different ways. Yet, the words from "TAPS" brings it all home....
"Day is done...gone the sun..from the hills, from the lakes, from the skies,
All is well, safely rest. God is nigh............"
May all of you be well and may rest fill your soul until we meet again...

4 comments:

Gary White said...

Hey Don, you never fail to take me "home" to CV and my early idolizing of your cornet playing. It all looks a little "sepia toned" in my memory of the place, but I can see your dad clear as a bell, showing me his stub of a finger where he didn't get it out of the way of a saw blade.

Good memories of CV, even from the depths of rural northern Spain.

DFCox said...

Now today is memorial day and I have been to the service at the CV cemetary with my sister and brother-in-law. We had a rain, lightning, and wind event last night and as the avenue of flags was up before the storm hit, it blew over most of the flag poles and the legion guys were a bit blue at this twist of fate. Today was fine with intermitant sunshine and the main flags and service flags were al flying. The words and the rifle volleys and the Taps with distant echo went off very well. I expect both you and Gary were "tapped" with doing that bugle melody in your highschool days.

Don Shaffer said...

Yes, Don, Gary and I were "tapped" to do that haunting melody a few times. One time in particular, a military funeral, I will always remember. Several of the American Legion men, along with Mr. Beggs (U.S. Marine), met at the Legion Hall. I was definitely a kid among men! I remember the ride out to the cemetary. Laughter, jokes and good-natured ribbing were in abundance. Upon arriving at the cemetary, Mr. Beggs motioned to a rather large tree, some distance from the grave site. He said to stand behind it, unseen, and after he played "Taps" at the graveside, I was to play the "echo Taps." G.A. played, in his usual eloquent, fluid manner. If ever a tune had an effect on me, that one did. As his last note faded away, I raised my cornet with sweaty hands, and played "the echo."

What happened next will forever be etched in my mind. We climbed back into the cars and made our way back to town. Not a word was spoken. Men looked straight ahead.
No laughter. No "job well done." You see, the "job" had been well done by a man who had served his country. The "job well done" was written on the faces of the men. No words were needed.

I often think of that day. Too often I have waited for the "job well done." No need. Knowing you did your best is all that is needed. And, every time I hear "Taps," I'll know that someone did their best....and their "job well done," by serving their country, will be written on the hearts and faces those whom them served.

Day is done but God is nigh....

Gary White said...

Yes, I did serve in that same capacity several times during my CVHS years. I'm sure I stood behind that same (Cedar?) tree and echoed G. A. on Taps. Don, you bring those days back to me, clear as a bell, and I'm treasuring the memories you evoke. Keep it up.