Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Random Memories of a Young Boy from 40's

As a very young farm lad I remember:
  • Hot summer nights on the farm and everyone sleeping outside on mattresses thrown up on a flat wagons. I thought it was great fun when I was 4 or 5 years old.
  • Cold winter days with snow that the team of mules had trouble pulling the feed wagon through to get to the cattle. But, making the snowman in the front yard was great fun when I was 5 or 6!
  • Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners when grandparents, uncles, aunts, and cousins all got together and I thought that we had the best food of the year.
  • Rationing of gasoline and many other items during WWII. I was so young that about all I remember is the coupon books with ration stamps.
  • Riding out with real cowboys as they went out to round up or "work" cattle. And, going to the fields with the farm "hands" when they were planting and harvesting the crops.
  • Swimming with the men in the creek after a hot day of harvesting in the summer - no suits needed.
  • Unannounced, but always welcome visits from relatives and family friends. And, always neighbors helping neighbors.
  • Complete and hardy dinners (lunch) served by my mother and helpers to the men in the fields, or miles away at the Hoosier railroad yard, so that the men could get right back to work.
  • Studying the book of Revelations in Sunday School and being frightened "half-to-death" as a young lad. I was 6 or 7 I think.
  • Visiting the one-room school on the hill at Round Mound before I was old enough to go to school. It was on the county-line road 3 or 4 miles ? north of the highway. Some of the older boys at the school made long white balloons our of something else. The school closed and I began my schooling in Cedar Vale instead.
These really were the "good old days"! I'll post more later, but what do you remember ?? Don't be shy! And please, enjoy every day.

2 comments:

DFCox said...

Very good memory ticklers JD, I can relate to several of those scenarios. I think you were recalling Goodview School which is on the county line, on a hill, and near the Mills Ranch. Round Mound is several miles East.
I look forward to more recallections.

Jay D. Mills said...

Thanks Don! I'm sure you are right about the school. The building has not been there for more than 50 years.

I just wanted to give others some ideas so maybe they (this means YOU, dear reader) can share some of their memories of growing up in rural Kansas.