Saturday, November 28, 2009

George Muhlenberg

If you will look back at the postings of October 22, 2007, you will see a post marked Class of '55 Early Photos. In that picture on the front row is a very blond boy dressed in a little soldier suit. That little soldier is/was George Muhlenberg (probably spelled it wrong). George was with us a very short time. As I recall, he lived with his grandparents in a little house on the corner across the street from Oltgens???? I noticed that by the time the fourth grade picture was taken, George was gone. He and I used to play together in the back yard of their house, and I recall one day when I went to play, George was in bad shape, and was having trouble walking properly. After a lot of questions and prompting, I was informed that he had a recent circumcision and therefore the funny spraddle-legged walk. It was not funny to George, and at the time I didn't really know what that meant, but after 65 years I still remember that day.
I wonder where George is now??? Does anyone recall his relatives that lived in that house??? It was on the northwest corner of Maple Street. Don??

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

By the way, the Google Map has been recently updated, so for all of us ex-Cedar Valeians who like to go back and see how things have changed and how they have remained the same, the maps are much clearer and closer.

DFCox said...

I guess you might be speaking of a memory of about 1944. I don't remember that family Wayne, but your directions lead me to believe it would be 607 (or 609 Maple). That house no longer exists as its present owner had it demolished, burned and buried. My parents later owned the house across the street at 608 Maple. Some of the
Metcalfs may have lived there in earlier days, but I definitly remember that Mary Keller (Couch) owned it since the 50s and then later Jr. Couch and his wife had it.

DFCox said...

Yes I suppose George was in quite a bit of discomfort if he was circumsized at the old age of 8 or 9.

Gary Metcalf said...

Wayne--I think George Muhlenberg is a distant relative of mine..2nd cousin maybe. His grandparents were Guy and Myrtle Metcalf. Guy worked at L C Adams for years. Guy and Mrytle's children were Don, Guy Jr, Gould and daughter Grace, who is George's mother. As I recall the last time my mother, ( who is the family historian) spoke of Grace, she lived in western Kansas and had written a book about the use of rocks for fence post. I know my cousin Artie has kept in touch with her. It seems as if George was in western Ks also. If I can find any additional info I'll let you know.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Gary and Don for the additional information. I hope George is not put-out by my revealing his painful malady of that time. He and Gary White were some of my best friends at that time, because I was stuck at the cleaning shop all day long and Gary and George lived close enough to play with every day.