Saturday, September 13, 2008

More Memories From Loyd Call

I graduated from High School in 1935, Olin Wilson was the manual training teacher. My brother, Kenneth started to High School the next year and Earl Vore came as manual training teacher.
I remember he came out to the farm and we went quail hunting. He did other carpenter and cabinet work at various times.
As you probably know, Ray Houston and I stayed together all thru the war. We were instructers in the Army Engineers.
Earl came through our classes as a member of Officers Candidate School from Fort Belvoir, Virginia. We visited with him several times in Washington D.C. His wife was on the base with him-I think her name was Irene Gilkey from the Irish Flats neighborhood. [note from dfc--Irene Gilkey's sister was/is Evelyn who married Glen Toothacher. He will be remembered by some as the electronics wizard who fixed and mended radios, TVs and other appliances for L. C. Adam Merc.] Earl built some kitchen cabinets for my folks. After the war he came back to Cedar Vale and lived in the Seybolt house and cabinet shop.
I see in the last LOOKOUT he did some work for Duane Woodruff in 1947. Loyd

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Loyd, I am glad you brought up Earl Vore. As you mentioned, he did do some work for my dad. We moved onto the farm, I think in about 1946 or '47 and dad hired Mr. Vore to remodel the big old house, the house that had no electricity but did have gas lights throughout. Looking back on what he did, I am still amazed, because working by himself he practically rebuilt the house from top to bottom, doing, among other things, all the plumbing and electrical work. I seem to remember at one time, about all that was standing was the three story fireplace chimney. I suppose nowdays it would have taken a crew of 20 men, various experts to do what he did by himself. The last I saw, that house was still standing, in good condition. Thanks , Loyd, for the memrory of a good man.

Unknown said...

I had another thought. You mentioned that Earl lived in the Seybolt house, which I assume was the house that we had lived in across from the Cox Funeral Home. Now I wonder whether Earl and my dad had some kind of arrangement, where Earl would do the work on remodeling our farm house in exchange for the Seybolt house?????
Maybe between you and Don, you could work out an answer???

DFCox said...

Wayne the Seybolt house in this case is the house diagonally across the corner from the Charlie Whartenby house--or across the street (downhill) from where Morris Jones lived. That is where master carpenter/cabinet maker Seybolt lived and plied his trade.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Don.

Pat Pate Molder said...

The name is Seybold. I know because sometime after my father died, Harry Seybold asked my Mother to go to dinner and the movies with him. She told him "the Pate girls come in threes" and that was fine with him. I remember several nice meals in Winfield and movies. One of the movies was "The Wizard of Oz". When WW II started Mr. Seybold moved to California and worked in the ship yards. For years he rememberd the three Pate girls at Christmas time with the biggest box of chocolate candy I have ever seen in my life....a huge box and drawers and drawers of chocolate.

Unknown said...

Maybe some of you "oldsters" can fill in a little more history. I seem to remember the story of my parents buying the house across the street from Hubert Cox's Funeral Home from someone they referred to as "Aunt Frankie Seybold (or Seybolt)". How was she related to the Seybolds in your comments, and why did my folks call her "Aunt"??? Did she work?? Children?? Husband??

DFCox said...

Yes, of course, Seybold--I knew that(at one time). I don't have any personal memories of the man. I do remember "Aunt Frankie" Seybold who lived in the Seybold house when I was a lad. Pat do you know how she fits into the Seybold family? Sister? wife? coousin?

Unknown said...

Interesting to hear about old CV area from Loyd. He was graduated about twenty years before many of us and he can give a different view of people and times than we remember. More from Loyd??

Pat Pate Molder said...

My sister told me that Aunt Frankie Seybold was the Mother of Harry Seybold. You are right, Don, about where they lived, across the corner from Whartenby house. Grandma Pate had a cedar chest made by Harry Seybold's father. Billy has it now. His name is either on the bottom or the lid

Anonymous said...

Does anyone have any memories concerning Charley Wharenby??