Wednesday, January 30, 2008

VIP (Looking Back)


There are many very important people in the history of Cedar Vale. It would be very interesting in looking back to know more about some of the town characters, leaders, and other interesting folks from the past. Some of the individuals that I remember and would like to hear life stories about or even just stories (for instance) are Junior Couch, Charley Grounds, Brady Meldrum, Old Doc Stone, and Squeaky Richardson.

Others are L. Claire Hays, Andy Earley, L.C. Adams, Roy Smith, and Cecil Humphries. It could be that there are individuals of whom you might have interest and would like to know more about their lives. Perhaps you could add comments as to your personal list.

Also, I would like to know "whatever happened to" many of the folks closer to my age. What are they doing and what were some of the events of their lives. This venue created by Gary White seems a most logical place for receiving more of this type of information. While it is true that class reunions give a chance to somewhat catch up with some of your classmates there are so many other friends or acquaintances of which you lose contact. For instance, don't you ever wonder about some of your dates and "whatever happened to Suzy or Mary"?

Some of us have shared our lives to various degrees and it would be quite interesting to hear more of these stories. It could be that you have a special friend or relative of which you have much knowledge that has had an interesting life that would be good to have entered into this vestige of history.

Our resident Cedar Vale historian, (Don Cox), has a rich heritage and vital information on many of the folks living in or passing through Cedar Vale. Possibly Don could take a person each week or so and expand upon their lives or share more interesting stories concerning his or her time in the town of cedars. Many of you have information that would be of great interest to us all if you would review your memories.

In looking back who are your VIPs?

12 comments:

Unknown said...

When I think of Roy Smith, of course I think of baseball. The most vivid memory I have of Roy is the time went through his patented windmill type wind-up and threw one of his 90+ mph fast balls, which connected with Richard Buoey(Sp?) right where a present day helmet would be, but at that time there were no helmets. That was a sickening sound when the ball struck his skull.
Otherwise, Roy was always happy and laughing and enjoyed life. He was also our milk route guy who picked up our cans of milk and transported them to the dairy in Ark City.
He was a good guy.

Unknown said...

Who was Squeaky Richarson??

DFCox said...

Phil I do want to do a few vignettes of CV people, I have a couple in mind who weren't on your list. Laziness and lack of animo are all that delay my efforts. DFCox

Gary White said...

I'm at work on a piece on Stella B. Whitney/Walker to fill out my earlier piece on Whitney Drug Store. I've got most of the census records now, along with some pieces from the CV books I have. Be patient-I've got a lot of work on my plate right now. Is this what they said retirement would be like?

Phil Foust said...

Good for you, Don and Gary.

Certainly, I am looking forward to the piece on Stella B. Whitney/Walker. She is an excellent subject and you so thoroughly provide such interesting facts. It is remembered that if a person shared information of some minor ailment with her ... she would come up with a remedy that seemed to always cure. Some of those "prescriptions" were her own concoctions.

Roy Smith allowed me to enjoy baseball to a much greater degree. He opened my eyes to the intricacies of the game as I listened to him explain our strategies as he managed. I suppose I think of him more as a manager than as a pitcher.

Often when I would see Roy he would remind me of a game played one sweltering Sunday afternoon when he pitched and my dad caught for CV in a thirteen inning victory. If you remember ... the other half of the team's tandem pitching staff was Oliver Hall. They made a wonderful and difficult combination to hit with the speed of Roy and the tantalizing slow curve of Oliver. I would like to know more of both Roy and Oliver.

Wayne, "Squeaky" was the brother of Don White's mother ... (if I remember correctly). He was the produce/delivery worker for Adam's grocery and had an unusual voice which contributed to his moniker. He was a hard and good spirited worker and I would enjoy knowing more about his life and "whatever happened to" him.

Phil Foust said...

When visiting with a person from the Beattie area, (Beattie is a town close to where we lived in Marshall County), conversation was made concerning a former good pitcher in their community. I'm of the belief that the pitcher could have been Clyde Shaffer. The name mentioned was "Red Shaffer" and it seems that I remember that the Shaffers came to Cedar Vale from that area.

Unknown said...

Clyde Shaffer had some fingers amputated by a power saw. I don't remember which hand, but maybe if it was his pitching hand, he was like Three-Finger Brown.

Dick Williams said...

I remember squeaky very well, because one day when I was pumping gas, he happened to walk by. I said hi squeaky and my dad heard me and he chewed me out for a week for not calling him Mr. Richardson.

Unknown said...

Phil, I wonder if we should just give up on getting anyone else to take part in this noble effort to relive the good old days, and bring us closer together in the present. It seems no one else is interested in reading the same old people and keeping their thoughts to themselves. As I had said before, perhaps we are all running out of gas. Even Professor White has been quiet the past few weeks.

Unknown said...

Phil, I wonder if we should just give up on getting anyone else to take part in this noble effort to relive the good old days, and bring us closer together in the present. It seems no one else is interested in reading the same old people and keeping their thoughts to themselves. As I had said before, perhaps we are all running out of gas. Even Professor White has been quiet the past few weeks.

Phil Foust said...

Patients, Dr. Wayne.

Kenneth said...

Thanks for the comments about my Dad, Roy Smith. It is nice to see he is remembered for some of the things he enjoyed doing.