Monday, January 14, 2008

Unforgettable John Murphy

John Murphy is a person unlike no other that I have met in my life. First and foremost; I found John to be a good and intelligent man.

What makes John unforgettable is his overwhelming sense of humor. No doubt others of you have better stories ... but here are a few that perhaps define John.

John, Jack Foster, possibly Bill Foster, and perhaps a coach at the high school and I ventured to Oklahoma University one rainy fall day to watch a football game between OU and Missouri. The ride to and from the game was hilarious as John regaled us with his stories. When we arrived at Norman, John took us to a frat house for a meal and without shame pushed his way past a long line making not so veiled reference to our importance. He wore rain gear that showed strong evidence of it's ranching use. John directed us to a fancy restaurant after the game in Norman or Oklahoma City. It was darker than which I was accustomed and John summoned the head waiter to our table. In a hushed voice, John mentioned to him that he had noticed rats scurrying around the floor close to the fireplace. The man was quite surprised and had no ready response. There were no rats of course but John was very convincing along with meal-long mad conversations with those amid our surroundings. After the meal, we went upstairs to a private club where John promptly instructed the bartender to hand over the bottles of some fellow (known or unknown). The bartender could find no bottles but in some way John was able to secure the ingredients for a drink even though we certainly were not members of the club.

One story that I heard about John was that he provided an enactment of a physician at "third hill" in Winfield. He identified himself and asked the cashier at a restaurant if she wasn't one of his patients.

Another favorite was John coming to the Super Center in Ponca City and informing the Customer Service Representatives that he was deaf and was unhappy with a purchase. He went through so many gyrations and unusual ways of expression without intelligible sound that showcased his very real ability to entertain.

John's way with people and his brusk assertions were so interesting to view as a bystander but possibly made you feel like a victim of Don Rickles if you were the thrust of his antics.

My memory has limited my examples of John's ability to shock but I feel that there are those of you who can comment with your own favorite stories of John. Also, more of John's quite interesting personal history would be most likely enjoyed by the bloggers. Truly, John Murphy must be among the top ten of Cedar Vale's most unforgettable characters?

4 comments:

Gary White said...

Somehow, I missed knowing John Murphy but it is clearly my loss! Great story, Phil.

Phil Foust said...

John is married to Linda Archer. He has been part of the Cedar Vale/Ark City social scene for many years and quite enlivened the entire area with his sage and knowing remarks along with at times somewhat outrageous but good fun behavior. They live in the Grainola, Oklahoma area.

A good man!

Diane Archer Bradbury said...

The mold was certainly broken after John Murphy was born. He is my brother-in-law and has spread his sense of humor far and wide. He took great pleasure in telling folks in CV untrue things about my mother, Opal Archer, after she moved to Winfield. He told them "Opal married an undertaker with six children and moved to Dodge City."

My mother was furious when she first heard this rumor... but her sense of humor won out.

John does have another side: He is an excellent parent and along with Linda, they have raised four terrific kids and now have eleven of the greatest grandkids.

Thanks Phil for the fun article.

DFCox said...

Way back when my father was owner of Cox Funeral Home, and I was practicing Vet Medicine in Cedar Vale, John used to regale me with stories of how he was in the Funeral business in Omaha and how I should take over from my dad and combine the Vet Clinic and Funeral Home Business. I was never quite sure how much I was supposed to believe.