Wednesday, January 9, 2008


I hope some of you Kansans will enjoy this poetry by Langston Hughes who was raised by his grandmother til age 13. His early life was mostly in Lawrence. He is considered the Kansas Poet Laureate. This is "Mother to Son" or maybe he meant Grandmother. I love the voice he uses.
1902--1967
Mother to Son
Well, son, I'll tell you:
Life for me
ain't been no
crystal stair.
It's had tacks
in it,
And splinters,
And boards torn up,
And places with no carpet on the
floor---"
bare.
But all the time
I'se been a-climbin on,
And reachin' landin's,
And turnin' corners,
And sometimes goin' in the dark
Where there ain't been no light.
So, boy, don't you turn back.
Don't you set down on the steps.'
Cause you finds it's kinder hard.
Don't you fall now-----"
For I'se still goin', honey,
I'se still climbin',
And life for me ain't been no
crystal stair.

5 comments:

Gary White said...

Thanks, Don. I well remember while I was a student at KU when Hughes came and did a poetry reading to jazz. What a memorable experience! I guess I wasn't aware of his life enough to realize he was speaking from "home" when he did that reading. Great piece and it brought back a great memory for me.

Phil Foust said...

Don, a wonderful and apropos poem for bloggers of (perhaps only somewhat) similar beginnings.

We all have stories ... but I remember while we were living on a farm between Cambridge and Moline without electricity, running water, telephone, inside facilities and possibly even without a "threadbare" carpet. Certainly, other difficulties facing Mr. Hughes were not shared but the memories of a (larger than life) grandmother are the stuff of silent poems without sufficient words to express everlasting admiration and appreciation.

DFCox said...

Yes Phil, your life--at least those episodes that you have shared with us--"ain't been no crystal stair." You weathered it all and emerged as a man to be admired.

Phil Foust said...

Thank you, Don ... but I must truly report that my life has been good. Everyone has a few bad times and on balance my turn on earth has been blessed.

Diane Archer Bradbury said...

Phil - Your comment displays a wholesome attitiude that we should all strive to have. Sometimes it's not easy to feel "blessed" but thinking less of one's misfortunes and focusing on the good stuff ought to do it. Good for you!