Sunday, April 26, 2009

Alumni Banquet

From Pat Molder ....
CV High School Alumni Banquet will be held May 23, 2009 at 7:00 PM. Tickets are $12 each. Contact Coral Ann Magnus at 620-758-2590.

1903 - Alumni Association was founded.

1906 - First alumni banquet was held in the Polson Opera House.

1896-1996 - CVHS Centennial. (That year a directory was published with all class members listed from the year 1896 through 1996. Tee Shirts with CVHS logo and "gimmie" caps with the logo were sold.

Pat's Memories - We were the 50th class to graduate ... 1946. The banquet was in the gym in the old high school building. Joe Leonard ('36) put together an elaborate musical program. He asked O.B. Stark and me to sing a romantic duet. Why us? And why me? I have a fair voice if singing in a group but I'm not duet material. After a number of practice sessions, Joe said he had to scrap our number because the program was running too long. (He was just being kind.) Joe was a musician of the finest quality and he sure didn't want me to mess up his program - and I would have. I was glad to be eliminated.

Now for the initiation: There was a tricycle race with tricycles built for a 3-4 year old. The boys had to pedal with a girl standing behind and there also was a diapering contest. The boys had to lay down on the floor while the girls pinned a diaper on him using a tea towel (cup towel in Texas).  I'm sure I remember right that my partner and I won both contests !!!

Pat continues with a thought ...  asking what memories do you have of the Alumni Banquet from the year you graduated?  Also, do you remember your initiation into the Association?


3 comments:

Phil Foust said...

Thank you Pat for the information and the quite interesting memories.

DFCox said...

Oh My !! I'm going to my 60 year reunion this year before the banquet. Who'da thunk it. The banquet now is mostly for we older grads. The new members (high school seniors) are apt to stay away--at least some of them.

DFCox said...

People from time to time bemoan the lack of a motel in C V for these festive times. There are two places available here at the present:
Ronald and Wah leeta Rogers have a furnished house--5 beds, complete kitchen, ready to use. They will rent it by the night, weekend, or whatever works for you. It is near their home 6 miles north of CV. Call Ron Rogers at 620 758 2498.
Shawne Clapp has a comfortable lodge next to the Short Stop convenience store on the north side of CV. There are 5 beds, sitting room w/tv, kitchen, bath, and dining area. Call Shawne at 620 758 2726.
If you think you would ever need these places--why not copy this info and keep it in a safe place?