Saturday, March 14, 2009

The story of Frank M Hubbard moving to CedarVale

Picture of Samuel D Hubbard.








The last Christmas I spent with Nellie Walkinshaw was the Christmas of 1995. John was not able to make it back, as he was beginning his career has a Police Officer and was not able to get off work. Jock and Katrina and I made it there. I took my little blind dog with me. I had rescued her from the middle of a highway, literally. She was laying on the yellow line when I stopped an 18 wheeler, so I could grab her. My hair was long and blonde at the time, I just knew what that driver was thinking!! I never found her home, so I just had to keep her.

On this visit, I was smart and took paper and pen. I was ready. As I had Nellie retell the story of her parents, I wrote as fast as I could, and then later on just copied my notes as I had written them. I recently located the story and will share it here. After I had a computer and access to the internet, and Ancestry.com I started work on her genealogy. The story she told and what I have found match. She would have loved to see these old census copies with her parents names.
1850/MI/Lenawee/Franklin, I first find Alonzo H Hubbard he was only 11 yrs old. Here is his family.
*Hubbard, Samuel A 51 farmer CT
Hubbard, Susan 50 NY
Hubbard, Ruth 22 NY
Hubbard, Samuel 21 NY
Hubbard, ?Austenchus? 19 NY( Austenchus)
Hubbard, Martha 16? NY
Hubbard, Alonzo 11 MI

*Samuel Dickinson Hubbard, a Representative from Connecticut; born in Middletown, Conn., August 10, 1799; pursued classical studies; was graduated from Yale College in 1819; studied law; was admitted to the bar and practiced in Middletown, Conn., 1823-1837; also engaged in manufacturing; elected as a Whig to the Twenty-ninth and Thirtieth Congresses (March 4, 1845-March 3, 1849); served as Postmaster General of the United States in the Cabinet of President Fillmore from August 31, 1852, to March 7, 1853; died in Middletown, Conn., October 8, 1855; interment in Indian Hill Cemetery.
Kentucky Marriages 1851-1900, Name: A. H. HUBBARD &
Spouse: ELIZA E. BALL Marriage Date: 14 Aug 1865, County: Madison County, State: KY.
In 1870 Alonzo H Hubbard and wife are in Carthage, MO (which has a beautiful Court House
and square, for those of you who have not been there) Elizabeth's middle initial must
have been for Ellen, as that is what she named in each census.
1880 has Alzonzo and Ellen in Greene Co, MO at Center (Springfield is in Green county).
Their family has grown from 2 children to 6, Frank was 5 yrs old.
1900 Alonzo living in a home for soldiers in Leavenworth, KS . He is widowed.
His dob is listed as Feburary 1839.
He died 13 Apr 1904 and is buried at Leavenworth National Cemetery, section 18, row 11,
site 2.
1900/KS/Cowley/Dexter
Hubbard, Frank/boarder/Dec1874/25/MO MI KY/teacher
living with the Hornberger family
(Have Frank’s genealogy traced back to George Hubbard- born in Glastonbury, Somerset, England 1615- died in Guilford, New Haven, CT 23 May 1683.
His wife, Elizabeth Watts born 1618 Hartford, Hartford, Connecticut- died 6 Dec 1702 Middletown, Middlesex, Connecticut)


This is from Nellie (Hubbard) Walkinshaw as she told it to me in 1995. A bit of Cedar Vale History.
Nellie's father, Frank Merwin Hubbard (Dec 28, 1874 to July 24, 1944) went to Cedar Vale, KS in 1893 from Carthage, MO where he had been born. His mother's last name was Ball, she was from KY. Frank's father, Alanzo Hammand Hubbard,was from Michigan, he served with Sherman during the Civil War. Alanzo met his wife in the South while on the 'march to the sea'. After the war he returned to Lexington, KY, where they had met and were married.

Frank married (April 22, 1905) Addie M Owen ( Dec 25, 1872 to April 6, 1966) born in Des Moines, Iowa. Her father had served in the Union Army during the Civil War. Her father, Mr. Owen, had been shot in the lung during the war amd moved to Carthage, MO for his health, where the climate was move favorable.

Frank Merwin Hubbard, first went to Cedar Vale, KS in 1893, he had heard about the Oklahoma strip opening - he was 19 years old when he arrived in Cedar Vale. At that time, C V was the end of the Sante Fe line. He had to wait for the opening of the strip, and needed a job while he waited.
When he arrived in Cedar Vale, he left his bag at the station and walked out to find a job. He had no trouble finding a job, since he was well read - even though he had not finished school. He was encouraged to go back to finish school in Carthage, which he did. He finished the 3 or 4 years in one year. He was then associated with the L.C. Adam Mercantile in Cedar Vale. Frank taught 7 terms of school, then bought a store in Hooser, KS before he and Addie moved to Cedar Vale. He moved back to Cedar Vale after completing school and married (in Carthage, Mo) They moved into the house they built in Cedar Vale in 1915. (my note: Nellie lived in the Hubbard home on Caney St until her death. Nellie had a deep love for Cedar Vale, and wrote about it's history. (My note: I am in hopes my daughter, Katrina has Nellie’s notes and family pictures and will be able to unpack them when she and her family move back to the States. They have been in Germany for 6 years.)
My note:I have been unable to find information on either of the wives. I even have the name of Elizabeth Ellen Ball’s brother, and only have the one reference for him when he was living with the Hubbards in MO.

6 comments:

Phil Foust said...

Well, Iris ... you are astonishing. It indicates something quite positive about you that you have spent the time and effort to provide genealogical information about Nellie's family. We are among the beneficiaries.

Iris (Tew) Walkinshaw said...

Yes, Phil, I have always created more work for myself because of the drive in me to find anything that gives me more information and have evidence of that information.

Probably the reason I like CSI and Forensic Files.!!

I hear a word, I want to know the origin, I hear a phrase, I want to know how it originated. Thank goodness my youngest brother is the same. I do not feel so alone.

Gary White said...

Iris, you have quickly become a valuable and prolific contributor. I'm sure you can tell from the responses that you are appreciated, but let me add that I've had communications from people who are printing out the posts in the CV blog to read to relatives in nursing homes and many of the posts are turned into articles that run in the CV Outlook (the weekly CV newspaper that is part of the Winfield Courier), and there are many people who read and never comment. You have a wider audience than you imagine and we all love what you are doing. In particular, your storehouse of photos are a wonderful addition to our blog. I'm sure I speak for the many silent readers when I say KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!

Anonymous said...

I went to work in the CV National Bank the year I was a Junior in High School - working 4-6 in the afternoons and 9-4 on Saturdays - during the school months; full time in the summer. After I graduated I worked full time. I've said this to say that working with Owen Hubbard was a blessing that followed me all the days of my accounting career. He taught me a lot about quality of life in the business world. He was ONE FINE MAN !

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.kfarbair.com][img]http://www.kfarbair.com/_images/_photos/photo_big8.jpg[/img][/url]

בית מלון [url=http://www.kfarbair.com]כפר בעיר[/url] - [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/about.html]חדרים[/url] גדולים אנחנו מספקים שירותי אירוח מגוונים כמו כן יש במקום שירות חדרים המכיל [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/eng/index.html]אחרוחות רומנטיות[/url] במחירים מפתיעים אשר יוגשו ישירות לחדרכם.

לפרטים אנא גשו לעמוד המלון - [url=http://kfarbair.com]כפר בעיר[/url] [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/contact.html][img]http://www.kfarbair.com/_images/apixel.gif[/img][/url]

C W H said...

Does anyone have info or links for the HAM family that was in the area late 1800's and early 1900's ?