Sunday, March 1, 2009

K.U./M.U. Basketball...and Football

Having seen K.U. trounce the "terrible" basketball M.U. Tigers today, memories surface on past basketball games! I remember sitting with Phil and Pat Foust, in their kitchen, listening to a K-State/K.U. game. It went down to the "wire!" Can't remember who won, but I was exhausted at the end of the game! We were playing some kind of cards. Can't remember if the cards were "kind" or not! Knowing Phil and Pat, I know they must have been "kind!"

I remember Hubert Cox listening to the K.U. football games in the "hardware store" at Adams Mercantile Company. Passing by the radio, I would hear the roar of the crowd, letting me know that someone had done something! And, who was the guy that worked in the hardware store, who was a former truck driver... a relative of Virgil Hill! And, what was Virgil's "nickname?" Oh, I remember. It was "Squirrelly!" He sold cars, didn't he? I just remember that this "former truck driver/owner" was a fine singer! He would sing along with the radio when the business was slow! (This guy and Jess Foster owned trucking companies.)

Talked long enough. A K.U. win will do that for me! And you know what, I would love to see the Cedar Vale Broncos play a game! Just to put on the "purple and gold" again would be next best thing to putting it on "the colors" and shooting some hoops!! That would be special!!!!!

3 comments:

Gary White said...

My most vivid memory of KU basketball was playing the pep band for the annual freshman/varsity basketball game. The frosh beat the varsity that year, mostly due to the multiple talents of a 7-foot freshman, Wilt (the stilt) Chamberlain. I can still remember him doing everything from work under (and above) the basket to dribbling down court. He was everywhere and could do it all. Sadly, Wilt is no longer with us.

DFCox said...

Don, I think the truck driver in your memory was Joe Martin. He had a pretty wife and a prettier daughter. Yes they were related to Squirley Hill--or maybe Aldine (his wife).

Phil Foust said...

Well, Don ... you are most kind and have a good memory as you recount our kitchen, a card game, and a KU/KSU ballgame out of the past. I was thinking of you and Shirley recently as KSU honored Mitch Richmond. Were you at Moberly during the time of Mitch and Dana Altman? Certainly, we enjoyed our trip to see you folks during our visit to that fine Mizzou city.