Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Letter from G. A. Beggs to Don and Shirley Shaffer

Waiting in my mail when we returned to Santa Fe was a letter and some clippings from Don Shaffer. G. A. wrote them a wonderful letter filled with memories that just have to be shared with the blog. This will give you a picture of how sharp G. A. Begg's memory is after over 50 years. He shared many stories with us after the homecoming parade in Fredonia and here are some more for your enjoyment. Take it away, G. A.!

Oct. 7, 2008


Dear Don and Shirley,


You made our weekend one to be ever remembered. Our homecoming parade was great. Your arranging for the alumni band was beyond our dreams. It seemed all the alumni were having a great time. They added lots of color and excitement to the day. I know it took lots of planning and time to make it all work—Thanks.


After fifty years, they seemed as young and excited as I remembered them. I think I could identify them all. I wish I could have visited longer with each. There were so many memories that we could have talked about—the class hay rack rides, playing lost trail in the moonlight and someone coming bleeding having run into a barbed wire fence; the last day of school picnic up at Charley Grounds gravel bar on the river; Don Cox swimming in Vonda Rish’s bathing suit; decorating the halls with poison ivy.


I remember other students like Thayne Townsend practicing the marches in the March Master band books. Mary White, who practiced constantly on her cornet. It was pretty common to hear students practicing as you passed through town.


Phil Foust brought us a stack of stock arrangements from his air force band and we formed a good stage band. It was comprised of: Barbara Woodruff, piano; Patsy Kelly, Jolene Westbrook, D. Warren, Diane Archer, saxes; Ron Warren, myself, Steven Alexander, trumpets; Frank White, trombone; Susan Alexander, drums. Larry Lloyd played the steel guitar. He became a pro and told me he made it to stage of the Grand Old Opera in Nashville and he said it had been his goal. His wife didn’t like it so he gave up his music career. This group played a tour to Dexter, Burden, and Leon schools one day and it was great fun. We also played an exchange prom with Sedan, which we enjoyed.


I’d like to say that we all enjoyed having Shirley come along. She seemed just as excited about the day as we were. She is such a charming person. We were all glad to know her better. Thanks for all your trouble and I hope we can keep in touch more often.


I am enclosing clippings from the Fredonia and Independence papers. They are for you to keep, but send to anyone who you think would be interested.


When I looked at Bob Marshall and saw what that old $25.00 Conn Cornet did, it makes me very proud I had a part in it.


Best to you both,


G. A. and Madge Beggs

No comments: