Sunday, September 26, 2010

October in Cedar Vale

Remember the Octobers in Cedar Vale? Cicadas? Sycamore trees and their leaving of leaves?
Grass seemed to dry up. There was a smell in the air. A giving up......... and a going to.

Then, a scene, I remember, of ranchers coming to town, to the pump, to get water, for their livelihood. The pump was stationed in the middle of town. Between the lumber yard and Church of Christ Church. Pick-ups and other kinds of trucks would mosie up to the pump, get their fill and move off, to secure another day of meal and moisture for the cattle awaiting. Such a communal thing. Everyone was welcome to the water! Don't know whether they had to pay for the water. And, if that was a fact, it was worth paying for!

Octobers in Cedar Vale were special. A time to re-seed. A time to make more of what we were.
A time to remember merchants jaunting off their steps, to give to farmers, ranchers, and city-folk, all they wanted, and more.

I think that if I ever had the chance, to re-live a lifetime, I'd pick an October in Cedar Vale!

2 comments:

DFCox said...

As usual Don you favor us with a vivid word portrait of a time gone by. I hope you don't run out of inspiration.
Mother Nature has not changed all that much preparing for Autumn. but Cedar Vale has changed a lot. I think we don't use the spigot by the Ch of Christ much now and if used it pours out expensive treated water from our new system.

Don Shaffer said...

Thank you, Don. After I wrote the "protrait of a time gone by," I wondered about the "inspiration."

Mother Nature changes, but not all that much, as it allows us to prepare for another autumn. The spigot may not be used much. And, if used, it pours out expensive treated water from our new system!

Tell me, my dear friend, what that means? In the meantime, I cloak myself in the Autumn of Cedar Vale, and for what it's worth, it was always the best of Autumns~ Best in the trampling of leaves, knowing that the trampling left a scurry of leaves, speaking a language that only Cedar Valeians, could understand!! :)

I sit here tonight, reveling in those "tramplings of autumn, in Cedar Vale." Words can't explain it. Because of that, I'm going to quit~ Just know that if you would like to trample some Cedar Vale leaves, let me know.... I'll trample them with you! :)