Thursday, August 12, 2010

Bob Marshall

Lived next door to Marshall's Filling Station. Next to Clarence and Elsie. Remember playing "catch" with Kenny. He was my hero. Grant Utt used to say, "He could hit it half as far, and get to where I was trying to get, in half the time!" Wished I had taken his every pitch in the glove, as a resolve. A resolve to know that from that "game of catch," a lifetime of learning, learning that what you give, you receive! Then along came came Bob.....

If you never knew Bob, you never knew Clarence! He would say, "Have you heard that boy play that horn? He's going to be somebody! " I can't describe the look, the posture in Clarence's eyes, as he extolled about Bob. His boy was special. Clarence knew it. Through him, we knew it.

Today, we smell the smells of a corner filling station. We feel the metal hitting metal as rims are loosed from their tires. You smell the little grinding motor, that sharpened the blades of your lawn mower. You saw a hoist, lifting up, yet another vehicle, in need of of soothing.

The sycamore trees shed their leaves, each year, I suppose. They were next to the "service station" that served us, in so many ways. That we should shed our leaves so easily.

So, Bob, as I write these words, I see you smiling! And, I hear you say, "It all started there, with a love that no one can comprehend. Yet, it was there....and you are here....and together, we will
be a band....a Beggs Band....and we will play wherever tunes need to be played!

Just wish I could hear those sycamore trees rustling. Just to feel the "pop" in my glove, when Kenny "threw it in." Just to smell the oil, that makes things run. Just to know that Bob is in a place where life returns to music....and know we are all the better for it!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

DFCox said...

What a beautiful and poignant tribute/memory Don. Yes Clarence and Elsie were proud of Bob and with good reason. Also this leaves plenty of praise for the Marshalls who raised their grandson and did such a great job of it. Bob saw them as honest and hardworking and who never dreamed of asking for a handout from anyone. I hope all 3 of you are having a group hug and even shedding some tears of joy there across the river.

Ola Utt said...

He could make a trumpet sound beautiful and had a real talent for playing it. Hard to believe another one is gone from that class. They have lost so many the last 10 years. I hope they are all having a grand reunion.

Don Shaffer said...

Speaking of a reunion, what if we had one?

It would be GRAND! All of those who have contributed to the "CV BLOG" would be sure to be there....and let it be known that they could invite people who would further enhance the occasion! Think about it. Worked for Prof. Harold Hill! ("Music Man!)

Our Prof. Don Cox would be the "point man!" He could delegate "reunion" responsibilties to a wide array of capable people!

Oh well, it's just a thought. Yet, when I read National Geographic articles about "home-town" folk, I think of us...and I think, you ought to come to Cedar Vale, we're the BEST!

Even if it doesn't happen,the thought of it is a BLAST! The Cedar Vale/Sedan game would wither in its wake!!! :)

Just curious. Do you have enough PURPLE AND GOLD running through your veins to make this happen! (A chill just went up my neck! Oh yeh,something's going to happen!)

I'll be checking in on you,
to see if this idea has any merit,
Just seeing you there, makes me know, you are especially disparate!
(I made this rhyme for my English teacher, Billy Joe...what was his last name?)

P.S. I had to look up that disparate word, too. However, it's us! We definitely are "distinct!" Love You!!!!!!!!

P.S. # 2: SEE YOU SOON!

Don Shaffer said...

I'd like to retract my idea about a reunion. We have a "reunion" of sorts through the wonderful CV Memories that Gary originated! Our schedules are such that planning such an event takes on almost unsurmountable proportions. I'm looking forward to reading many more our your blogs!