Friday, July 11, 2008

Mr. Beggs Letter, part II

I just spent a wonderful half hour talking with Mr. Beggs. We went over the old times and he even added names of several other of his CV students that he remembered. I asked him if I could put up his address and phone number on the blog and he gave me permission. Here it is, followed by the second half of his letter.

George Beggs
227 N. 7th Street
Fredonia, KS 66736-1313

(620) 378-3118

BTW, George's birthday is in August—a good time to shower him with birthday cards!

(continued . . .)

Facilities were terrible and we had no budget to buy anything, in fact they used to go to Topeka and bring home old army surplus instruments.

Clubs got together and bought 50 purple and gold uniforms. Parents bought instruments and we became one of the top class B bands in the state. I was at Cedar Vale 12 years. We competed in state contests 10 years and had 8 one ratings. We played Egmont Overture by Beethoven our last year.

I do remember well our trio playing at Bill Leonard’s funeral in the theater.

We had a lot of excellent talent at C.V. I think of Gary White, Don Shaffer, Tom Gordon, Reece Bohannan, Barbara Woodruff, Diane Archer, Patsy Kelly, Lesta and Judy Johnson, Don & Ron Warren, Don Cox, Joan Stone, Phil Foust, and Bob Marshall (and others).

Bob became an outstanding band teacher at Peabody High School. Has retired from teaching and is manager of the music department at Senseney Music in Wichita.

Don Shaffer retired from teaching and the last I knew was working for Hallmark in K. C. and directing the Hallmark employee band.

I’m extremely proud of all my past students and especially your success and major accomplishments.

I enjoyed the account of your growing up in Cedar Vale and many thanks for the book.

I used to visit often with your dad at Clarence Marshall’s station and remember well seeing your folks and you riding in the big red gasoline truck.

They’ve just hired their 5th band director here since I retired in 1981.

I think one of the most exciting things I remember about C.V. was the turkey toss off the roof of the L. C. Adam store. I caught a turkey and Reece Vandruff, standing near, caught the poop on his hat.

Sincerely,
George Beggs

PS: I’ll be 87 in August and Madge will be 85 in November. I’m in good health—Madge has R. Arthritis but still takes care of all her home work well.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I was not a great musician like the students he mentions, but I was always amazed at his ability to play and teach all of the band instruments. It seemed that he was some sort of musical genius.

Gary White said...

Genius is certainly the right word. And one fine human being to boot.

Gary White said...

Mr. Beggs also told me that he spent the last 35 years before retirement as a part-time piano tuner. I don't know how he found the time to go fishing, but he sure did.

Unknown said...

Mr. & Mrs. Beggs were a very attractive and talented couple and they had a very positive influence in the school and in the community. Cedarvale was fortunate to have had them. I remember Mr. Beggs playing at the Saturday night dances at the park pavilion. And I remember seeing him at Ozro Falls several times fishing.

Phil Foust said...

Truly, one of the bright stars of Cedar Vale.

DFCox said...

When I moved to CA. in 1963 I bought George and Madges living room furniture, it was metal framed, modern, a couch (made a bed) easy chair, and two end tables. I never wore it out, but it didn't come back to KS. This and all my other worldly possesions were in a U-Haul and a Chevy PU. "And away we went"

Diane Archer Bradbury said...

I thoroughly enjoyed Mr. Begg's letter. In the near future, some of us are going to go see him and hopefully take them to lunch. Of course we'll find out if they would be available, etc. Should be a wonderful visit.

Gary White said...

Have fun. They sounded remarkably like I remember them back in the early 1950s. It is the mark of a well-lived life to remain as youthful as they seem to be.

Diane Archer Bradbury said...

I remember Mr. Beggs playing Clyde McCoy's "Sugar Blues" at the Saturday night dances. He could really play this song and I always loved hearing it. That was a tight little combo that played the dances. They kept the place hoppin'.

I allso remember when Harry James came to Ark City to play a dance. My mother drove a car load of girls to the dance and she went, too. When we got in and looked around, there were George and Madge cutting a rug on the dance floor. Well, they were dancing, as I remember, to the slow dances.
What great music we heard that night - one of the legends of jazz and the big band sound. On the way home we drove in thick fog.
My mother was so nervous and we were all relieved to get home. And it seems to me it was on a school night!

Gary White said...

I remember Harry James in concert in Independence. I must have missed the Ark City dance—perhaps it was after I graduated from CVHS.