Saturday, September 8, 2007

Comments on Woodruff's Main St

Oh yes, where to begin? Wayne there was always a Barber Shop near Fettigs and Smith's Grocery. I remember a barber named Craig when I was a little boy. Later I remember "Gimpy" Lefler was there and then still later I think "Twid" Martin started there before going down to the shop on the highway.

Pool Hall In the 30s Art Radcliff ran it. Art had a "jake leg" A not uncommon malady in those days caused by neurological damage from bad contraband spirits (bathtub booze). Later "Sonny" Deunsing ran it and he was also a cripple, but his problem was a shriveled leg. I couldn't enter there as a boy, but later spent many a slow afternoon there playing Pinochle with the "Good 'ol Boys" Probably Oliver was a proprieter also but I don't remember it.

Hankins I was a regular customer--what a great hangout!! In the late '40s the "in" thing to order there was "White Cow" or "Black Cow'. The former being a scoop of vanilla ice cream with Chocolate syrup--The later being chocolate with marshmallow topping. I kind of remember they were 15 cents.

Adams Mercantile We have covered that pretty well, especially Gary. Yes Norma June was a beauty I had noticed that also. She is still in the county, living just ouside Elgin, and runs a Real Estate office in Sedan. Jack died a few years ago.

No comments: